Help! - I've got oil in my gas -or- gas in my oil!?! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi Everyone - I've been away from the forum for most of the winter due to some tough family challanges and I've been starting up a new business... things have settled down now, and the business is going pretty well. Spring is here and so is the bug to get outdoors and start riding again. Here's my problem...

Through the spring, summer and fall of last year I was working at restoring an 83' Aspencade that I had taken in as payment on a job that I couldn't collect on otherwise - the bike had been sitting unridden for 10 to 12 years with gas in the tank, bald tires, dry-rotted rubber, and all of the rest. I took my time and went through most of it, replacing or repairing as needed and money allowed. All the while getting a great motorcycle eduction on this fine forum.

I'm no expert - but with confidence gained from you guys and your expertise, I undertook a full carburetor rebuild, it all seemed to go really well, and so with shiney new parts and everything cleaned and looking spiffy, I put gas in the tank and hit the starter (Old, original starter that is) nothin happened. I went to pull the starter a couple of days later and when I did... gas came running out of the starter opening! Seems one of the floats was stuck and gas had been running down into the cylinders and into the case.

It was sort of the last straw for me then - the cold weather was already here and my funds were pretty much gone - so in frustration I stuck the starter back in it's place, shut off the petcock and stuck the bike out in the shed for the winter - Now, with the warmer weather I've decided to have another go at the goldwing. I'vebought good new carbs ready to install, a new starter ready to install, but of course (and yes, I know, I should have thought of this long ago), when I opened the oil drainplug last week,all of the oil mixed now with gas came pouring out! And it had been sitting that way all winter. The oil had been fresh and full, and I'm guessing it had about a half quart of gas that had gotten in it and sat there for about 4 months.

My question is...what damage might the gas being there in the oil for that long have caused? Is there anything I can do now to prevent damage before I move ahead and try to get it running? Can you advise me on how to proceed from this point?

Thank you any and all, for whatever you can help me with. Oh, and I apologise for the length of this post - I guess I felt the need to get this all out after a long cold winter, Thanks again.

SignGuy 50

\'83 GL1100 ASPENCADE

IT\'S ONLY ROCK N\'ROLL...BUT I LIKE IT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

The gas didn't hurt anything because the engine was not running.

Just drop the old oil (you did that already), refill and a new filter and go ride.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Do the 83's use mechanical or electric pumps? If mechanical you might look in to the possibility the diaphragm is leaking gas by and in to the cankcase also. If this were the case it would usually come out the vent hole but better safe than sorry I guess.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 AM

Post imported post

Hello signguy50..Here is a link to Randakk's site with a very good section on how to start up a Goldwing after a long layup. Please do it step by step...http://www.randakks.com/TechTips.htm#24

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 07:34 AM

Post imported post

welcome back signguy, never give up just postpone, like they said change the oil and ride baby ride, however i would keep an eye on the oil to make sure there is no more gas in it, bad things can happen when you ride with gas in the oil. good luck
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

In the town I used to work in, there was a guy who's family owns a local liquor store who was riding one of his Harleys down the highway when it burst into flames near the crotch.
By the time he got it stopped, got off of it and got it out, he was in some serious trouble from knee to knee and everything in between. Not a real fun injury to be revcovering from.

Fortunately, we don't ride bikes known for spontaneous combustion but loose gasoline and it's vapors should not be treated casually. Same for battery acid and bad wiring.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 08:21 AM

Post imported post

I don't know if the GL1100 fuel pump will allow gasoline to enter the crankcase with a ruptured diaphram or not. In some engine designs, this can happen. My father once owned a 1968 Dodge pickup truck that did this. Turned out the gasoline enriched oil did a fantastic job of cleaning out the engine. The valve lifters clattered something terrible as well, until we replaced the fuel pump and drained and replaced the oil. Other than being a fire hazzard for a half a day or so while we puzzled over the symptoms, the engine ran fine for another couple of decades.

I don\'t want a pickle
Just want to ride my motorsickle.
1980 GL1100 Standard
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 PM

Post imported post

These bikes are notorious for the float valve not sealing especially after an overhaul. It takes them a while to take a seat I guess. Most people recommend you use the original Honda float valves. I like to set my floats a little higher than the specifications (.650) not .610 as recommended. They seem to run better. It won’t hurt your motor for the gas to be in there as long as you didn’t run it. Just drain it and fill it back with oil. The 1100 is a great bike and pretty much bullet proof. Ride and enjoy

1983 Goldwing GL 1100 I Wineberry
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Most motorcycles with carburetors are at risk for gas in the case if a float valve leaks. Since the tank is usually well above the engine and carbs it can happen. That's why they have petcocks. When you shut down a bike it's always best to shut the fuel off.

Once an engine has been flooded with gasoline, I'd drain, change the oil and filter and run it a few minutes and then do it again. There are just too many spots in the engine that can trap the diluted oil and redilute the new oil to a lesser extent.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page