cruise control unit led won't light. :( - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

ok guys ...... i have been beating this book to death "helm manual" .... followed the flow charts trying to troubleshoot the cruise control and i am down to the wiring .... i think..... I am on page 4-32 at the bottom left. It says to check cruise and resume switches..... the set "lower switch" when activated i get voltage across the W/y + and green leads but when i activate the top switch... accel it says i should also get voltage across the same terminals and i don't ..... i took the rh control apart and cleaned it out and checked continuity of the accel switch at the rh junction on the inside of the fairing ... and the switch checks out ok. cleaned the connector and greased with silicone grease but still don't get any voltage from at the cruise control unit when the accel button is depressed............. any ideas ........... i was thinking about jumping the wire to see if i can get the led on the ccu to light but i'm unsure as to what to jump .....great forum ..... appreciate the help !!!!!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Senior Guru

Model: GL1800, GL1500, GL1200
Post imported post

Sorry John I'm a bit lost, is it just the light that isn't working or is the cruise down as well?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

when the bike is moving and i set the cruise i can feel it start to take control of the throttle but then it just quits.... the cruise light and the cruise set light on the dash are still lit but the bike is slowing down. In the shop i find that the red led light on the cruise control unit isn't lighting up... hope that clears things up ...... i have gone through the book trying to find the problem and am stuck on the resume button....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

still looking for a wiring/electrical guru.....
if somthing isn't clear that i have said then please ask and i will try to ellaborate.
GW I hope this answers your question.
I just got the bike back togethor after changing all the rubber hoses,vacum lines, carbs rebuilt, coolant flushed, oil and filter, had to replace the final drive and the driven flange. and i am anxiosly awaiting getting her back on the road.... Hopefully with a cruise control
John
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

When the cruise control just drops out it's usually a problem with one of the many interlock switches. Start with your clutch and brake cutout switches. It's pretty common for the handlebar switches to act up. Try pushing out on the brake lever with the back of your fingers while setting your cruise and holding the lever out. Try the same thing with the clutch.

If that doesn't accomplish anything check those switches, the brake pedal switch and the throttle cutoff switch with an ohmmeter. Odds are that one of these will be the cause.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Post imported post

well im having issues with mine as well I think its a sensor it will not engage at all but the unit lights up any help
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Year: 1987 , 1997
Make: honda
Model: 1997 goldwing se,1987 aspencade
Send a message via Yahoo to old retread
Post imported post

i had trouble with mine too. found a hole in vacum hose and rear brake light switch was hanging up.good luck.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:41 PM

Post imported post

well im thinking about taking it off I have one that mounts right to the throttle and Im used to using that what are they worth
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

sry for the delay guys..... my girlfriend had to have a knee replaced..... but she is doing fine and recovering.... I probably should have added that i just got done putting all new hoses,vacum,coolant,exhaust air..... rebuilt carbs from "classic cycle parts" A+job for them by the way..... and a host of other stuff but not related to motor or cruise.... I have checked all of the switches and they all appear to show continuity in the proper position. thats why i am stumped ... the book isn't real clear on what to do... the resume switch is the first switch that shows adnormal.... 1. the switch is fine. "disnonected and checked at the plug in at fairing". 2. not sure how to check the wiring harness as the wires change color to the ccu....so i'm unsure what to try and jump or what to see has nontinuity by the amount of smoke coming out of my meter "lol"..... there is more stuff to check but i think maybe i should resolve this issue before going further ???? not sure but i figure there is a method to the sequence ???? thanks for the ideas .
rougemed2 how do we know your unit is any good ??? not being rude!!! just asking ... I may run through the list again and double check my findings ... just to make sure.
thanks to alll.............
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

well I have started all over and went through the list.... everything i check is ok.... from the switches to the wiring and including the cruise control valve..... I consulted the wiring diagram to find out what wire at the ccu needs to be checked for continuity or "ohms" for each specific switch and all checked out ok... so now i am just at a total loss .......... the only thing it can be is the actuall cruise control unit... the one with the red light that doesn't light up !!!!!!!!!!!.....
rougemed would you be interusted in selling yours??? or does anybody have any ideas on what to check??????????
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page