Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question on the 3 yellow wires.-Dual question :-)

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  gkiesel 
#1 ·
imported post

I just picked up a 1985 Interstate.
Reading thru the forums here, I looked into the yellow wires.
And there it was, the white clip/plug.

I was going to do the soldering tonight, and realized Ihad no shrink wrap, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I figured I would prep the area and get it all ready.

Here is the part I am suprised about:
Upon looking at the wires, I found that the original honda wiring was Yellow, thats what comes out of the eingine. However, 2 inches below abd above the white plug, the wire is yellow with a black line, and someone has soldered to shrunk wrap the yellow with black line to the original yellow. The PO did not do any work to this, however he is not the original owner.

SOoooo what could have happened?
Original white plug burn and they replaced it with something off another model?
Did they replace the stator and the put in a new plug?

What should I do? THink? OR just solder it and be on my merry way?

Your thoughts and opinions on this are much appreciated.

Also, since I have a interstate and it doesnt have the fancy volt reader, is there something I can add thats not real expensive but will allow me to watch the battery?

Thanks
Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

Who knows. I already removed a 4 pin trailer connector someone had wired in place of the connector. Clean back to solid clean wires, solder and shrink wrap and you're good to go.

Are you sure the battery is being charged? You may want to test the stator, before you solder the wires, just to be sure.

Do a search for stator testing.

Kuryakan makes a reasonable priced gauge, about $34.

Attachments

#3 ·
imported post

Hi Robo74,

Just to double check we're talking about the same thing, you're looking at the connector that's close to the rectifier/regulator under the left side of the faux tank, correct? Assuming this is so and you have solder/shrink wrap connections on the 3 yellow wires on both sides of the connector then it sounds like someone replaced the connector at some point. I recommend you proceed with removing that connector and hard wiring. $.02 from a EE.

Dan

#5 ·
imported post

Possible the original plug fried. The reason for the so many stator failures in the 1200's was this plug. Wires became loose fitting and started arcing. A common fix was to remove the plug and solder the wires together. Saved having the stator go. A lot of 1100 owners used to do this as well at one time.

#6 ·
imported post

I am familiar with the issue, however, I was just real suprised that it was kinda done as in someone replaced it.

This is the yellow wires that are right next to the battery (left side).

Now another question is: Do I cut out what they have done, or just solder where I cut the plug out?
I inspected their plug, and it was factory style plug as it fit in the little metal holder that honda put next to the battery.

And another question, before I made the cut, I ran the bike for a few minutes. When I went to the white plug, it was very hot and the wires where actually hot. This common?

As far as testing, I have to find someone with a meter. DO I just test the voltage that comes out of the engine?

Thanks!
Rob

#7 ·
imported post

Has the battery been staying charged or haven't you driven it long enough to know? If you started it a few times since you got it and it worked without a boost then it is probably charging. The hot plug/wires tells you to replace the plug before you ride it again. IMO.

#8 ·
imported post

I rode it home (60 miles) road it around the area several times (quick trips) Started it several times in the garage and have had no issues what so ever.

I already cut the plug out, I just want to know if I should cut out the previous solder or not.

Will the wires still got hot even tho I solder it?

Rob

#9 ·
imported post

If the old joints are soldered good they should be O.K. My wires have never been even warm so I would say they would be cool after the repair. Unless there is another problem somewhere.

#11 ·
imported post

If you have the room I would definitely cut back to the factory wiring.Less soldered joints that way.Best to keep the joints to a minimum.

#12 ·
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
I would do it all over You will prob have to put in bridging wire as your existing wires will be too short. Use the same gauge or slightly larger and do Western union connections with shrink wrap and you'll be good to go for a long time

What is a Western union connection?

Anyone happen to know the guage of the wire?

Thanks!
Rob

#15 ·
imported post

Rob, the short answer is to solder the three wires and be on your merry way. Honda did make a replacement plug. I believe it was called a stator connection repair kit?, or something along those lines. You may want to consider installing an EC Harness. It basically replaces all the wires to the regulator and powers the coils directly from the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.