GL1100 Oil/Coolant mixing- head gasket? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1983 GL1100 Standard
Post imported post

Well gang, looks like my 83 GL1100 finally has a serious problem. Coolant mixed with oil pissing out the front of the engine, seems to be coming from under/behind the thermostat housing. I am looking at newer bikes, I need one to commute - I am leaning towards a Kawasaki Concours. I may keep this one and fix it - is this a head gasket issue, anyone have any ideas..? THX in advance..

1983 GL1100 Standard
2002 Victory Classic Cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:12 PM

Post imported post

Are you sure its leaking from the t-stat housing?Up high,centered behind radiator?

Or maybe from the water-pump housing?Lower left where the lower radiator hose goes into?

If it is the lower,there is a weap hole there to indicate a bad pump seal,Also,this will cause antifreeze in oil,and can be repaired easily with a new water pump.

1983 gl1100 interstate
vetter terreplane sidecar
cb900f SuperSport
cb500 cafe
cb400f SuperSport
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I think the part you're calling the thermostat housing is actually the water pump housing. If you mean the area where the lower radiator hose connects to the engine that's the coolant pump housing. If the slop is coming out of the weep hole below that area it just means your water pump has failed.

Drain all the oil and coolant out of your engine to prevent the coolant from corroding your engine. You need to drain it to fix it anyway. You'll need a new water pump, front cover gasket, the two different sized o-rings for the pump and the seal for the housing cover and the hose spigot. It's not a difficult job, the lower engine cover can come off without dropping the engine. A matter of a couple hours.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks, maybe I'll keep it and fix it! I have a look tonight - anyone know a good source for the new water pump other than my local Honda stealer..? I have the Honda service manual as well.. Gotta love internet forums, what DID we do without them?

EDIT is there a way to verify whether it is the pump, or just the seal? My manual says "inspect pump for worn bearings, loose shaft or damaged impeller" I have done many 60's/70's auto water pumps in my younger days..

1983 GL1100 Standard
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Post imported post

Yes, sure, there is a way. After you get the coolent and oil drained. As Paul said, you hafta do it anyway now. Just wiggle the impeller of the pump and if it wiggles at all, there is every chance that the front bearing of the pump is gone. Get all the seals as mentioned or a pump kit. That should also include the oil seal for the rear shaft as it passes into the oil pump area. That seal has to be bad for oil to get into the coolent via the pump. A new pump will have a metal impeller, whereas the origional was made of resin fibre. That will also be a clue about your pump.

Mother Honda is expensive, so if you are so inclined, and your pump's shaft is OK, then you can get a new pressure seal(bellows seal), and two new bearings and rebuild the old pump for about $25. Just do a search for water pump and there will be lots of info

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

ENGINE COVER WON'T COME OFF! Or the pump cover - I drained the fluids, pulled the radiator, removed EVERY bolt on the cover, double and triple checked that I didn't miss any- gave it a few taps with a hammer, also tried a wooden mallet - it hasn't been off in 25 years - I figured I would consult the glitterati here at the Gold Wing forums before I broke the covers - any suggestions welcome!

(Yes, the oil filter is off too.. )

1983 GL1100 Standard
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 PM

Post imported post

You MUST remove it in the forward directon only!!!I believe there are a couple tabs that you can TAP forward with a brass hammer.

There are twosleeve type dowels in the upper corners where the coolant passes through the housing that will keep you from moving it any other direction.

Be careful not to distort these sleeves,they need to seal when done.

Best bet is to buy a water pump gasket kit when you buy the new pump,it will come with all the neccesry seals and gaskets,that do not come with the pump.

1983 gl1100 interstate
vetter terreplane sidecar
cb900f SuperSport
cb500 cafe
cb400f SuperSport
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks - I have cleaned up and retired to a few cold ones for the evening, and listening to the Red Sox begin their annual collapse on the radio. I will try it again tomorrow evening, although I don't have a brass hammer..

1983 GL1100 Standard
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:35 AM

Post imported post

Dave You can check the pump without removing the front cover. Simply remove the two 10mm bolts holding the lower rad spiggot onto the cover and tap it off, exposing the front of the impeller. You can test wiggle it from there. Good starting point.

Hawker22(Ken)
Per Ardua Ad Astra
1997 GL1500SE--White Cloud
2001 GL1800----Blue Yonder
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I gave it a shot this morning, tapping the tabs forward and gently using a screwdriver and it came off. When I pulled the pump out, the ball-bearings were all over the place. I am ordering a pump today

EDIT I removed the radiator because my Honda Service Manual said to, but now I don't think there was any need to..

1983 GL1100 Standard
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page