'86 Gold Wing - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

My 1986 Gold Wing Interstate seems to run fine under a load, when warmed up. When ideling I bring the rpms up to around 2000, it wants to misfire. When the bike is started cold it starts right up but needs alot of choke to keep going. After it is warmed up it runs great but at a fast idle around 2000 rpm it will miss. At normal idle after warm up it idles great.

Sure could use some help on this one,

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Check this out.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Erkekeis/Carbshimsfor1200.htm

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Do you know if anyone has messed around with the fuel mixture screws? They should have the factory covers on them.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

In reply to both Redwing 52 and Goldwinger 1984 Senior Guru, I have looked at the link that was given by Redwing 52 and I may try this. I have noticed in my Clymer Honda manual 1984-1987 page 142 that the '84 and '85 Goldwings had an issue about running rough around 2k and should be brought in to Honda to be fixed for free. But not the '86 or '87. When I bought the bike about 10 years ago it never had this problem that I mentioned in my origional statement. I have checked everything that I could as far as compression (all are 160lbs), pulse generator resistance (both are 340 ohms), timing to see if the spark advances--ok. Spark plugs and wires, coils etc. Everything seems ok. As far as if anybody has changed the mixture settings I have no idea. Like I mentioned the bike ran fine when I bought it 10 years ago. Under a load the bike will red line to 7.5k without a miss. (From idle to red line) With no load it only misses around 2k, at red line with no load it is ok. My gas milage is always between 48-52 mpg. Maybe getting old like me. I spit and sputter around 2k also.

Thanks for the help, great to have guys like you on the net to help out

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Guru

Post imported post

Sounds like you have a very good running bike that only misses in neutral at 2000 RPM. That's a very difficult range to tune because it could be any of the circuits in the carbs in any of the carbs if in fact it is the carbs causing the problem. It could be a vacuum leak in the hose at the #4 carb going to the ECU, that one frequently develops a leak or it could be a vacuum leak under one of the manifolds. You can check for vacuum leaks with an unlit propane torch and listen for a drop in engine RPM when you find one. The alternative is to remove the carbs and go through them thouroughly and hopefully you find something wrong but your bike runs so good that it'll be hard to find anything wrong at this time. Keep driving it and see if the condition improves or gets worse and make a decision down the road.

Vic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A place for GL1200\'s to gather.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page