No reverse, no reverse lamp and no water temp & gas gauges! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1997 1500 SE
Post imported post

...took her out for a long run (well. long for us newbies: about 200 miles round trip) and everything was "golden". That was just yesterday. Today, Itried to backher out of the garage and found the reverse suddenly doesn'twork. I put the shifter in Neutral, pulled the reverse lever out and up, and noticed the "R" lamp remains dark.So, I pushed the 'start/reverse' button...nothing happened. I also notice the water and gas gauges aren't working now, either, and they were fine yesterday.So, I grabbed the Goldwing manual, found the locations for the fuses and checked every one with a continuity tester...they all tested okay.I swapped a few around in the fuse box (with matching amperage, of course) but no result. She starts right up and everything else electrical is working: lights, horn, signals, radio/intercom and all front panel warning lamps (except Reverse) are good.

I'm , and was planning to show her off at my tandem cycling club's camping weekend in four days. Anyone have a clue as to anything I've missed? Thanks in advance!

Cpt.Dewey Larkin
Copilot Bev Clark
aka "Team Clarkin"
..and \'the Black Pearl\'
1997 GL1500SE w/MotorTrike
Macomb, MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

You could either have the reverse switch out of adjustment or more likely you need a relay in your relay block replaced.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Updated entry: after voltmetering every fuse and fusible link I could find, and picking Paul and Rudy's brains, it may be a bad relay. I removed the seat and loosened the relay/fuse block mounting bracket but can't get the &^%# relay block cover off...the trike's left fender is in the way (of course: the gods love a good joke), and I don't have animpact wrenchto remove the bolts. Dang!

Dropped it off at the local wrench shed, and am bracing myself for the amount of time (and $) it'll take to get it back again...but I'm still looking forward to getting back on the road.

Cpt.Dewey Larkin
Copilot Bev Clark
aka "Team Clarkin"
Macomb, MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 PM

Model: 2012 GL1800 Red
Send a message via Yahoo to Wing-Rider
Post imported post

I bet you it's the ignition switch. Let me guess. The engine was running but there was no life at the gauges. Am I right?

All I wanna do is ride, ride, ride!....And enjoy every minute of it too! Used to own a GL1500!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Wing-Rider wrote:
Quote:
I bet you it's the ignition switch. Let me guess. The engine was running but there was no life at the gauges. Am I right?
Yes...and yet, no. I have all lights and gauges except the water temp, gas gauge, reverse and OD lamps (and no reverse gear, which I'd noticed first). Everything else works: speedo, tach, lights, horn, cruise control etc.

If this were a game show (and sometimes I think everything is), I'd award you 5 points out of a possible 10...so you're still a contestant!

Cpt.Dewey Larkin
Copilot Bev Clark
aka "Team Clarkin"
Macomb, MI
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 PM

Post imported post

you might also want to check the electrical plugs just aft and under the glove boxes.I would have to check the wiring diagram to see if they would take out reverse also or just the indication.rudy is probibly correct but if the relay doesn't fix it then this gives you something else to look into.

Thanks Kevin 1995 GL1500 Aspencade with SE bodywork
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 11:29 PM

Model: 2012 GL1800 Red
Send a message via Yahoo to Wing-Rider
Post imported post

Clarkins wrote:
Quote:
Wing-Rider wrote:
Quote:
Yes...and yet, no. I have all lights and gauges except the water temp, gas gauge, reverse and OD lamps (and no reverse gear, which I'd noticed first). Everything else works: speedo, tach, lights, horn, cruise control etc.

If this were a game show (and sometimes I think everything is), I'd award you 5 points out of a possible 10...so you're still a contestant!
Can I guess again?

Let us know what the shop came up with. Most interested over here

All I wanna do is ride, ride, ride!....And enjoy every minute of it too! Used to own a GL1500!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

...sigh...

Dropped 'Pearl' off last Thursday for an electricaldiagnostic...missed another weekend of great riding weather in the process...called for an update today, and they 'hope to get to it' tomorrow! Man, what we need is a bike shop that only fixes them, doesn't sell them, doesn't work on ATVs or 'sleds' or waverunners, lawnmowers, hedge-trimmers, mopeds, etc. As the Beach Boys sang, "Wouldn't it be nice"!

This Honda shop is the only other one that's close enough to ride to, and when I made the so-called "appointment" on Wednesday I asked them if they had experience with trikes..."sure, we've done them before" I was told. I get to the dealer the next day and mention that to the techs, who look at each other and shrug. "I've been here 17 years and have seen maybe 3 trikes in here. Didn't work on them, either", one says. Greaaat. Confidence is high. I'll keep you posted once I actually have something to tell ya...

Cpt.Dewey Larkin
Copilot Bev Clark
aka "Team Clarkin"
Macomb, MI
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

'Pearl' is back and running fine; it seems a loose wire behind the relay fuse block was the culprit.I got the call from the dealer this afternoon, raced home to grab my helmet and co-rider, then she ran me up to the shop to pick it up, then I drove her home. Went out to dinner (on the trike, of course) and drove back into a very nice sunset. Tomorrow we hook up the trailer, crank the tandem down onto it, hook it up to 'Pearl' and we're off to a training ride at Stoney Creek Metropark.We're riding a metric century (about 62 miles) on the tandem on August 19th; if the weather's decent it should be alot of fun! Here's a bit about the event itself:

http://www.firstgiving.com/clarkins

It's great to be 'back in the saddle again'!

Cpt.Dewey Larkin
Copilot Bev Clark
aka "Team Clarkin"
Macomb, MI
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page