Electrical Gremlins - Battery Drain - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have a mystery electrical problem on a 82 Aspencade that I'm working on for a friend.

The battery that was on his bike, if left connected, would drain within a day. So I first thought it was a drain or short in the system. I disconnected the battery, and connected an ohm meter to the positive and negative battery leads, thinking that if there was no problem, there would be infinite resistance, and with the key off, the needle pointed to 12000. I unplugged everything, removed the fairing, disconnected everything under the steering weight, disconnected all the fuses, everything but the stuff under the pod, and nothing changed. So then I thought, hmm, I'll check in on my own 80 Standard. The resistance was about the same.

Okay, then it's just a bad battery... Partly... I swapped out the battery with the one from my wing last Thursday, and it stayed strong, at least I thought. I moved onto another problem, trying to see if I could figure out the radio/clock problem. I didn't start it up for a couple days, but each time I turned on the ignition switch, the lights lit up brightly, so it didn't look like there was a problem. Then I was out of town for a couple days, and when I went out to my shop this morning, the battery was completely dead, and this is the good battery that I'm been using on my wing with no problems.

And one more weird thing I just noticed. When I hooked up the ohm meter to the positive lead and ground to verify my reading, it first jumped to 0 ohms, then went to 12k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Instead of using an ohmmeter check the current draw with the ignition switch off by using the ammeter function. Start with a well charged battery.

Disconnect the battery's negative post and put the ammeter on the 10A scale, connect the leads, one to the battery negative post and the other to the battery negative cable and see what the current reading is. You'll probably have to reduce the amp scale on your meter but it's safest to start with the 10A range to protect the meter.

You shouldn't see more than a few milliamps of current flow with the switch off. Maybe 20-50ma maximum. If there's more than that start pulling fuses one at a time until you discover which circuit is drawing the excess power.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 PM

Post imported post

Exavid has the right idea. Sometimes these kind of problems can be hard to find. Not a bike but my old pickup truck has this problem. Left connected the battery would be dead within a week. I connected the ammeter in series with the negative terminal and got a quick surge and then almost nothing. I spent hours poking and wiggling wires and cables. Actually gave up and let it win. I just disconnect the battery terminal when I park it. I suspect a bad leakage in the brake light switch but......

I hope you find yours....

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Guru

Year: 1991 1500 SE & 79 1000 GL.
Model: '79 GL1000 & '91 GL1500
Post imported post

While your snoopin' around, look for some home brew wiring!!! It's usually the problem.

If ya cant fix it with a hammer, it's prolly lectrical
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I haven't found any homebrew wiring, but there have been a few wires worn down to the core. So far none of these have been it. I'll be trying out what exavid said tomorrow.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Okay! I think I've found it! Hooked up the amp meter, and it pegged, so I started unplugging connectors in the faring, and it went back to zero when I unpluggeda green connector with black, red, and green wires. I think this is one going to the tuner, which makes sence since the tuner isn't working properly and the display doesn't work at all. With this connector unplugged, I get no reading on any amp meter setting, so hopefully I've found my gremlin.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM

Post imported post

Sounds like it - Good work! If the radio isn't working properly, it would be a good suspect....

After all, if you found Colonel Mustard, in the library, with a candlestick... Hmmm...

[COLOR=GREEN]Endwell_Tim
81 GL1100I ---->>>> GONE!!!
90 GL1500 SE
"Opportunity is most often missed because it shows up in overalls, lookin\' like work..."
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page