Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bonney Lake, Washington, USA
I have a mystery electrical problem on a 82 Aspencade that I'm working on for a friend.
The battery that was on his bike, if left connected, would drain within a day. So I first thought it was a drain or short in the system. I disconnected the battery, and connected an ohm meter to the positive and negative battery leads, thinking that if there was no problem, there would be infinite resistance, and with the key off, the needle pointed to 12000. I unplugged everything, removed the fairing, disconnected everything under the steering weight, disconnected all the fuses, everything but the stuff under the pod, and nothing changed. So then I thought, hmm, I'll check in on my own 80 Standard. The resistance was about the same.
Okay, then it's just a bad battery... Partly... I swapped out the battery with the one from my wing last Thursday, and it stayed strong, at least I thought. I moved onto another problem, trying to see if I could figure out the radio/clock problem. I didn't start it up for a couple days, but each time I turned on the ignition switch, the lights lit up brightly, so it didn't look like there was a problem. Then I was out of town for a couple days, and when I went out to my shop this morning, the battery was completely dead, and this is the good battery that I'm been using on my wing with no problems.
And one more weird thing I just noticed. When I hooked up the ohm meter to the positive lead and ground to verify my reading, it first jumped to 0 ohms, then went to 12k.