Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Long wearing tires

617 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Sly 
#1 ·
imported post

I have a 1982 GL1100 with a sidecar. Need new tires for the bike. I have used Dunlop 491 elite 2s for the last 20 years. I get about 10-11000 miles on the rear tire with the sidecar which is very good. Anybody know of a tire that will get as good a mileage as the Dunlops ? I know on 2 wheels one should get about 18000. Any one have experience with long wearing tires/

Doug in MN 82 Wing/Watsonian Monaco sidecar

#3 ·
imported post

You'll get lots of opinions on tires. I haven't gone through many sets like some of the guys have, but I'll tell you about the tires on my bike.

I'm in Talkeetna Alaska right now and have been on the road since May 4. I have 12,000 miles on my new tires and they still look great.

I've ridden over 1,000 miles of gravel. Over 2,000 miles of chip-n-seal, and have ridden fewer than 1,000 miles of interstate.

The 12k on my tires had been more than rough. They've been extreme. I ride 75-85 mph at all times (except speed zones.)

I'm totally amazed at how well they've held up. Also, I've got 200 lbs of gear strapped to the bike.

One anecdote doesn't make an experiment, but that's my experience.

Metzler High Milage 880.

22935 ME 880 Marathon Touring Front Tire 130/90H-16 -- Shipped 1 22975 ME 880 High Mileage Cruiser Touring Rear Tire 150/90HB-15 -- Shipped
From Motorcycle Superstore.

The only downside... road noise.

I don't have anything to compare it to to know if that's normal or not.

Good luck.

PS - I don't have a sidecar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.