GL1100 Overheating!! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey guys, I own a '82 GL1100 Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. I have had it for years and never had any issues with it.

Recently though it likes to overheat when pulling hills or and higher rpm stuff. Around town I never have any problems. I have already flushed the whole system, changed the T-stat, checked the radiator for excessive deposits, and rebuilt/balanced the carbs, etc and there is no oil in the water or water in the oil. Basically everything is tip-top. The exhaust is stock, but isn't plugged either.

I know its really getting hot and not a gauge issue because when it gets really hot it starts breaking up and loses power.

I doubt its the radiator because if it was plugged or corroded it would be overheating at idle and city driving too, especially with the outside weather @ 110 degrees. Plus the problem would of gotten worse overtime. The overheating problem I have started overnight.

I guess the last thing would be the water pump, so I bought another one and its on its way.

Any suggestions guys? I really enjoy riding and can't afford a new bike right now.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

-Cable

\'81 GL1100 Interstate 41k miles
\'75 Datsun Z w/Corvette LS2 engine swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Post imported post

Welcome to the forum from Ont.,Canada
Sounds like either the water pump is not doing it's job or there is something plugged.If the rad was plugged there would be cool spots(in the fins) where the fluid is not circulating.Just because the pump is not leaking doesn't mean that it's pumping.

Fatwing Chris
Darkside #1602
Gone Double Dark with a BT45
If I\'d have known it would last this long I would have taken better care of it.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I suspect that you do indeed have a radiator issue. I would pull it and have a shop vat it to remove deposits that you can't see thru the filler neck.

If any of the POs used tap water, there will be deposits in the tubes.

I agree, the weather has been hotter than usual this year. And, if you want to really feel good about it, the forecast for next year is going to be worse

Unless the impeller on the water pump has corroded, it should still be pumping water. So back to basics would imply to me that it has a radiator problem.

One other thought though, is the bike running lean? That will also cause over heating. pick up a cheap infrared temp gun at Harbor Freight and see what the cylinder temps are. You can also check to see if the exhaust tubes are all the same temperature.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Sounds more like it might be a head gasket issue to me... One tell-tale sign will be gas bubbles up through coolant under load... also might run hotter when it is doing this, but not necessarily.. Jim

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I doubt it's the water pump, Logtech rode his 1100 Interstate for a lot of miles with the tip of the pump shaft broken. He was riding with no water pump and could keep it going on the road without overheating. I believe he was mostly on the freeway and going fairly slow 40-50mph. He can elaborate I'm going from what he told me plus a slippery memory.

I'd agree with Arizona, suspect a scaled or partially plugged radiator. When you're going slow the engine will heat up enough to call up the fan but it's not generating the volume of heat that running at speed will do. At higher running speeds there's more heat for the radiator to extract, if there's anything wrong with the radiator it won't be able to shed the heat as fast as the engine is creating it. Pull the radiator and take it to a radiator shop. The type radiator on your bike can be cleaned and/or rodded.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Just to clarify a few things, I can run on flat ground at ANY speed including 90 mph and no overheating. The second I start pulling a hill, it overheats. The only way I get the temp to rise on flat ground is when doing a hard accel from 0 mph to high freeway speeds, even then it never really overheats, it just starts to rise above normal operating temps because it doesn't take long to reach those speeds @ WOT. Soon as I level off the throttle, so does the running temps. I am sure with more speed I could get it to overheat on flat ground, but I don't need to run any faster than 80 mph anywhere I go.

However, if I even attempt to do any hills with twisties, even going a slow 15-30 mph or 55-70 freeway speeds it will overheat.

It seems to overheat more quickly with more RPM, so even with high load and leaving it in a higher gear and just adding gas to keep speed it will stay cooler vs downshifting and gaining rpm to maintain speed. Did that make any sense?

Lastly, outside (weather) temps don't seem to effect the bikes temps at all. This first started in January of this year. The first time I noticed the high temps I was pulling a 5000 ft mountain range and it was alittle over 40 degrees outside.

Regardless, I'll look into getting the radiator yanked and cleaned and rodded, if not re-cored.

Thanks guys.

-Cable

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 AM
fgh

Model: GL1100 Aspy
Post imported post

I haven't heard you say that the fan is coming on. Is it coming on when the temp rises?

fgh
\'83 Aspy
\'83 GS750ES
If it ain\'t broke you can\'t fix it!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Year: 1984 1978
Make: honda
Model: Gl 1200 Gl 1000
Post imported post

fgh wrote:
Quote:
I haven't heard you say that the fan is coming on. Is it coming on when the temp rises?
Was thinking the same thing myself
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Year: 1982
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100I
Post imported post

jimbo1145 wrote:
Quote:
fgh wrote:
Quote:
Was thinking the same thing myself
I tend to agree with arizona and exavid. The radiator. Even at high speed flat land requires little energy. Going uphill generates extra heat.

Iwon't rule out a damaged empeller on the waterpump but not as likly as radiator. If pieces of empeller were circulating they or it could lodge somewhere in the engine or end up in the radiator. If in the engine even at low speed that area would overheat. A thermostate not opening all the way could cause those systems also but I still put my money on the radiator.

Of caorse your bike has become so accoustom to below sea level that it just rebels when you want to see above the water.

By the way! Welcome to the forum with the best bunch of people!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The fan works, not sure if its on when at speed though. I would think if the bike was moving at any speed above 30 mph that more than enough air would be moving through the radiator to keep it cool, agreed?

-Cable

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page