Tear Down Time - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Now that winter is here I plan to tear the old girl down to the frame for some Cleaning Painting and Repair I have ridden it most of the summer and she seems ok but she does have a reconstructed title and I figure it would not hurt to do a good inspection plus she is getting a little long in the tooth I do not plan to tear down the engine it runs fine so I plan to just pull it and set it on the bench any hints/ideas an what would be the most problematic to work on? I plan to try patching and repainting the faring and bags myself and have someone to powder coat the frame and chrome.

Eric
1975 KE 100 gone in head on with fire bird
1979 KZ 650 First big bike first love
1980\'s cb750 rode while in AF sold when I got out
1982 virago 750 Died and parted out on ebay
1983 GL1100 Aspencade sold to SBinSC
1976 GL1000 Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Guru

Year: 1991 1500 SE & 79 1000 GL.
Model: '79 GL1000 & '91 GL1500
Post imported post

Im about to do the same thing with mine and I asked about some winterizing questions as well. Exavid suggested that I wipe some oil on the fork tubes so they dont rust which I thought was pretty smart. He also siad to fill the fuel tank so moisture would not get in. Shut off the fuel and run the bike till she quits to drain the carbs etc. I have now began to look at parts of the bike that might get confusing on re assenbly and I am taking pic's of things like brackets, linkage etc so I can see how it should go back together. I am going to check all bearings for steering, suspension, wheels, stuff like that. And of course... timing belts, just because!

If ya cant fix it with a hammer, it's prolly lectrical
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 AM

Model: 1982 GL1100I (Sold); 2012 GL1800 VII
Post imported post

Hi Eric, powder coating the frame sounds like an excellent way to restore it. Just rember the coating closes holes andenlarges everything else. You will have to re-establish your clearances as you put the bike back together. Certainly doable but things will not bolt back upas easily asthey came off. Keep us informed of your progress.

Jack
2012 GL1800A
2004 GL1800A Sold
1982 GL1100I Sold
1975 GL1000 Sold
1974 CB450 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 82winginvegas
Post imported post

I rebuilt my 1100 a few years ago, The best tip I can give you is get a few boxes of freezer bags ( freezer bags are thicker than standard ) and a sharpie and mark everything really good. I bought a large plastic container from wal mart and stored the parts and pieces till re construction. And if you need parts , try to find original Honda parts.I had to reorder a couple of parts because the cheaper parts I found on line just didnt match up or just looked like even if they did fit, probably wouldnt last long....bikebandit.com is a great source. Also, get your camera out and document everything so you know how to put it back together.

Heres a link to my project if you'd like to look....... http://groups.msn.com/ClassicWingSIG...ar.msnw?Page=1

What happens in Vegas, happens on my wing!

My 1982 1100I restoration project....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the tips I hope to get a few more weeks here in PA to ride then I plan to attack I even talkedthe wife into letting me bring her into the finished part of the basement to work on her. Just an old coucha TV and some exercise equipmentthat I think got used once but much warmer then the garage I will let you know how it works out

Eric
1975 KE 100 gone in head on with fire bird
1979 KZ 650 First big bike first love
1980\'s cb750 rode while in AF sold when I got out
1982 virago 750 Died and parted out on ebay
1983 GL1100 Aspencade sold to SBinSC
1976 GL1000 Project

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page