Low Compression - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

After going through the carbs three times I finally figured out why I can't get it running right!! I Know your going to say should have checked compression first, I just made the adapter for my SAE compression gauge. Anyhow i'm getting 120, 120, 120 and60 . If I add oil it jumps to 180 and 90. Since this bike sat is it possible the rings just need to loosen up and reseat?? Just wishfull hopeing. Can anyone recomend a good source for rings headgasket ECT, or do I need to go to Honda. Thank You Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Of hand, I'd say it looks more like a valve that is leaking since oil didn't fix it.... and that may even be just a sticking valve stem or even soot/dirt under the seat... but it may be a bent or burned valve too..

I'd start with check of timing belt and valve timing, valve clearances and if that doesn't help,then maybe the head needs to come off....... don't be to hasty to takethe engine apart yet...

SDB/Jim

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks timeing belts are new just put them on for maintainence purposes. I'm sure the one 60 is a valve but the three 120s need help Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Before taking the engine apart, I would want to try everything else first.

How about soaking it overnight a couple of times with penetrating oil in the cylinders? I would like to think that just maybe the rings are stuck and that time and patience will eventually turn them loose.

I would also want to verify the valves are okay as SDB has suggested. That is important, you don't want to burn a valve seat. Pulling the heads will also allow you to put on new head gaskets removing yet one more doubt from your mind.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I wouldn't worry about the 120psi readings yet. If the bike has been sitting a long time stuck rings could cause that but the low reading on one cylinder has to be investigated. First off check the valve clearance to make sure all the valves on that cylinder are closing fully. I've seen rust on the stems of engines that have been ignored for long periods, that can stick the valve in the guide. A shot of penetrating oil on the stems through the exhaust or intake ports can sometimes free that up.

Once you have that solved retry the compression using a large capacity car battery, make sure you have the throttle full open, choke likewise. Low readings on compression is as much a test of your electrical system and starter as it is of the engine so it can be low if the engine cranks slowly due to low voltage at the starter or a starter in poor condition. If it were mine I'd take care of the low cylinder, might have to pull the head and take a look if it doesn't loosen up with penetrating oil and some cranking over. Once that's done don't worry about the compression until you've got the engine running a bit, that often will free things up nicely and the following compression test will show a major increase.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the encouragement . Bike has new battery new starter and all plugs out, it's cranking as good as it gets. I did check the valve clearence they were all within spec. The heads are very clean inside the valve cover no rust to be seen although I will examine this cylinder a little closer. I'm a little hesitant to run it this way fear of posible damage. Thanks Tom
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Just do more cranking over w/o plugs and with the penetrating oil as per Paul's sage advice.

~ John

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Model: 1983 GL 1100 I
Send a message via AIM to dan filipi
Post imported post

Quote:
timeing belts are new just put them on for maintainence purposes.
This is the part that concerns me.

Are you sure the belts went on proper without a valve getting damaged?
It's easy to damage a valve on the right head if the spring action of the cam is allowed to snap back or the valve timing is off.

I agree with not being too concerned with the 120 psi.
If the engine sat awhile, I bet that compression will come up, if there's no valve damage or leaking by.

1983 GL1100 Interstate with 1200 engine, single carb, and C5 ignition.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am certain I didn't damage the valve doing the belts. I am pretty carefull. It's the #1 cylinder thats weak front left Thanks Tom
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:31 AM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

thessler wrote:
Quote:
I am certain I didn't damage the valve doing the belts. I am pretty carefull. It's the #1 cylinder thats weak front leftÂ* ThanksÂ* Tom
Make sure the carbs are either off, or you test compression with the throttle wide open. I think the 120 is way too low, considering factory stock is around 170 on a GL1100.

Raymond

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page