LTD, SEi. How to fix fuel pump and where to buy one for $20 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hammer, carb. cleaner, gas, battery. Note: connect pump to battery by long wires- spark can light fuel pump

Remove fuel pump, fill it with carb cleaner, hit bracket with hammer (see picture), connect to battery to hear if if works. Again and again until it works. Sound is not enough, it has to spit carb cleaner out. When it begun working fill it with carb cleaner 2-3 times and let pump pump it out. Fill it with gas couple of times to get rid of carb cleaner. Add Sea foam to fuel after installation

If you didn't fix it (I did) click here:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtNumber=E8000

Click See all vehicles this product fits". Call junk yard ask for pump for listed cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump repair.jpg (17.1 KB, 571 views)

76, 83, 84I,84A, 86 SEi Wings are gone, now 75, 84A
I have to stop buying dead old Wings...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ignition switch for $8, solenoid for $10, fuel pump for $30 still work fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 08:35 PM

Post imported post

You have to love it When all else fails get a bigger hammer. May not fix it but it will sure work out a lot of hostility. LOL dj

\'73 450k,\'79 CBX,\'80 GL1100S new,\'83 GL1100A now
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Fine on the hammer whack..... probably can get a few miles if you can get it up to the 75-80 psi spec..... also,

I don't know why you said $20, unless you are talking junkyard.... I could not find that pump for that.... the link that you listed shows a Honda automotive pump for $103... and I don't know why anyone would want to use this.... what might be an incorrect part or a kludge...... just so everyone is aware.... the correct Honda SEI Motorcycle pump is available from service honda 16700-ML8-751 for $415.......... probably similar from honda direct...

Edit: Newbiker is correct (below), incorrect part was unfortunately quoted from the non-injected parts fiche... and above edited to that effect...It is not hard tosee why the temptation is there to substitute something else.....

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Quote:
Fine on the hammer whack..... probably can get a few miles if you can get it up to the 75-80 psi spec..... also,

I don't know why you said $20, unless you are talking junkyard.... I could not find that pump for that.... the link that you listed shows a Honda automotive pump for $103... and I don't know why anyone would want to use this.... what might be an incorrect part or a cludge...... just so everyone is aware.... the correct Honda SEI Motorcycle pump is available from service honda 16700-MG9-771 for $107.......... probably similar from honda direct...
I gave link to E8000 pump because 2-3 guys said they used it. $20 is junkyard price, maybe they will ask for more. Unfortunately pump you found was for carburated engines. If I am right please delete that # before somebody orders it for SEi

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Post imported post

Been tooling along with my E8000 pump for a year now. No problems at all and ALOT cheaper. It is a tad smaller in diameter and doesn't have a built in fuel screen, but a screen is easy to make. You can use a cone screen and insert it in the inlet side of the fuel line for the pump (at the nipple)or you can cut down a flat screen to fit in the inlet nipple. I actually use both.

Snorebaby (Doug) and Snorebabe (Michele)
'15 GL1800 Scarlett

'90 GL 1500 SE Pearl
'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
Patriot Guard Riders #137660

I ain't drunk, but I have been drinkin'. (beenshot)

"Carrots & Pickles, Attorneys at Law" (Wingnumberone)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM

Post imported post

I have been having problems with my GL1200 Aspencade fuel pump since it went out last spring just before a club ride I wanted to go on. The nearest Honda shop (80 miles away) said they didn't have a fuel pump in stock. I pulleda Mallory Competition 70 fuel pump off of my 34 coupe and adapted it to the bike to make the ride. The throttle response was incredible, so much so I was afraid it would damage something else on the bike. The next Monday I went to the Honda shop and ordered a new pump. A week later when it came in they told me Honda no longer made the fuel pump for the 1200 so they got me one for the 1500. The only visible diference was the tubes where the fuel lines attached were smaller so I sinched thefuel linesdown with worm gear clamps. Now the bike won't hardly start when it's cold nearly running the battery down , it runs good once it warms up though and starts good after it warms up. It is like the bike is starved for fuel when trying to start cold. Has anyone else tried a 1500 pump on a 1200? The Master E8000 fuel pump I found out about on your forum today, will it work on the carberator model and do you think it will fix the starting problem?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

fastdraw 357 wrote:
Quote:
... Master E8000 fuel pump .... will it work on the carberator model and do you think it will fix the starting problem?
No.. ithe e8000 is only for high pressure fuel injection application's (30-80 psi), however there are other electric fuel pump options.. check randakk's site and search here... I haven't done it, but several here ahve and will probably be back... since this thread is about the ltd and sei models, you might want to start a new thread with your questin about electric fuel pumps for carbureted 1200s.... and get a proper welcome in the process

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

fastdraw 357 wrote:
Quote:
I have been having problems with my GL1200 Aspencade fuel pump since it went out last spring just before a club ride I wanted to go on. The nearest Honda shop (80 miles away) said they didn't have a fuel pump in stock. I pulleda Mallory Competition 70 fuel pump off of my 34 coupe and adapted it to the bike to make the ride. The throttle response was incredible, so much so I was afraid it would damage something else on the bike. The next Monday I went to the Honda shop and ordered a new pump. A week later when it came in they told me Honda no longer made the fuel pump for the 1200 so they got me one for the 1500. The only visible diference was the tubes where the fuel lines attached were smaller so I sinched thefuel linesdown with worm gear clamps. Now the bike won't hardly start when it's cold nearly running the battery down , it runs good once it warms up though and starts good after it warms up. It is like the bike is starved for fuel when trying to start cold. Has anyone else tried a 1500 pump on a 1200? The Master E8000 fuel pump I found out about on your forum today, will it work on the carberator model and do you think it will fix the starting problem?

Carburetor pump has pressure 2-4 PSI, fuel injestion pump has pressure about 80-90 PSI which is adjusted by regulator to about 40 PSI. You should not use fuel injection pump because it will easily open float valves and carbs will flood. I used aftermarket pump for 40 doll but I had to replace fuel pump relay.

1200 pump works by ignition pulses, my aftermarket pump works from steady 12 V voltage. If Honda changed "pulse" pump to "steady" pump it will not work. I need to see 1500 wiring diagram to find out. My aftermarket pump didn't work until I changed relay and wiring.

P.S. Do you carry 357 revolver? 357 will go thru body and kill somebody else unless you have hollowpoints. You probably have hollowpoints.

I am downloading 1500 manual, I'll tell you in 20 min or so.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:02 PM

Post imported post

I am a member of the Marietta Gunfighters which is an old west reinactment club that puts on shows at fairs all around southern Oklahoma, I use either my Ruger 357 Blackhawk or Colt 44-40 for the shows and custom make my own blanks.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

[align=center]Howdy fastdraw 357 [shadow=red]You are Very Welcome to The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum.[/shadow] [/align]
[align=left][/align]

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page