Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Headlight issue - Hi is Lo, Lo is Hi - need advise (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/297011-headlight-issue-hi-lo-lo-hi-need-advise.html)

tallnwise 02-08-2008 12:19 PM

imported post

Hi:

I have a 1980 GL1100 Standard with a Vetter/Windjammer fairing. I have had this issue since I bought it - when if I switch to Hi-beam, the headlight goes Lo-beam and vice versa.

I have kinda gotten used to it - the only thing that bugs me is the blue Hi-beam indicator staring in my face at night. Ya - I can put tape on it, just like I did for the always-on neutral light - but a fix could be handy.

Is there some easy solution to diagnose and fix?

Thanks,
Dan

Was Wannabewing 02-08-2008 12:43 PM

imported post

Welcome tallnwise.......Sounds like the wires are switched (backwards) in the wiring harness. If I remember from the vetters I used to have one wire is high and one is low beam. Wiring diagram is on vetter website.

If this is not correct I am sure some of our 1100 guru's will be along shortly. :D

Tim :bat:

RB 02-08-2008 12:57 PM

imported post

I agree just pull the wires out of the bulb socket and reverse the two hot wires..problem solved...or cut wires if you don't want to pull them out of the socket and splice them back in reversed. OK not at the switch:cool::cool:

Rudy 02-08-2008 01:15 PM

imported post

I'd want to know WHY they are reversed. :baffled:

GLester 02-08-2008 01:18 PM

imported post

RB wrote:
Quote:

I agree just pull the wires out of the bulb socket and reverse the two hot wires..problem solved...or cut wires if you don't want to pull them out of the socket and splice them back in reversed.....OR...do the same at the switch.

Don't do it at the switch, you will still have the highbeam light on the dash coming on(seen this before)(The highbeam indicator is wired into the lead going to the highbeam bulb.)
. Just switch the wires at the bulb. They were wired backwards, that is all.:D

Gene:waving:

S Clark 02-08-2008 01:23 PM

imported post

I have two Vetter fairings, one wired correctly and one wired backward like yours. I haven't bothered to change it since the blue light doesn't bother me. My guess it that it shouldn't be a problem to move the pins in the socket, but if it is it certainly would be a snap to cut and reconnect the wires. Let me know how it turns out. I may rewire mine.

tallnwise 02-08-2008 02:42 PM

imported post

Thanks for all the good information. I found the installation manual on Craig Vetter's site. I will try and switch the Yellow and White wires where the pins are attached to internal wiring plug this weekend. If that does not work will just cut & rewire at the bulb-end. Will update you guys how it goes.

(Rudy - me too, but that's the way I got it.)

Dan

Gofastandfalldown 02-08-2008 05:12 PM

imported post

Let's make this as painless as possible. The easiest place to swap the wires is where the Vetter wiring harness goes into the bike's side cover. Chances are that the yellow and white wires are spliced into the bike's wiring harness with a couple of those infamous "blue connectors". That is probably where the wiring error originates too!!! Just pop the 2 blue connectors loose and swap the wires.

You could swap thepins at the 9 pin fairing connector or at the headlight, but then there would be some blood involved & some swearing too.

exavid 02-08-2008 09:10 PM

imported post

The best way would be to do the wire swap is external to the bike's wiring, ie in the Vetter side of the harness. That way the bike will remain wired as the schematic shows. Less chance of wiring confusion further on down the pike that way.

siataukreg 02-09-2008 08:06 AM

imported post

tallnwise wrote:
Quote:

Hi:

I have a 1980 GL1100 Standard with a Vetter/Windjammer fairing. I have had this issue since I bought it - when if I switch to Hi-beam, the headlight goes Lo-beam and vice versa.

I have kinda gotten used to it - the only thing that bugs me is the blue Hi-beam indicator staring in my face at night. Ya - I can put tape on it, just like I did for the always-on neutral light - but a fix could be handy.

Is there some easy solution to diagnose and fix?

Thanks,
Dan
Quote:

Thats the same thing that mine does only its a 1500SE 1997 main beam warning lamp is on on dip and off on main