stereo rca jacks - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

I have 2 rca jacks in the back of my stereo, one is blue for the right and the other is green for the left, if I had the wires for the rca jacks to the mp3 jacks will the mp3 player work through the stereo?

Thanks

It\'s not what you buy, it\'s what you build.

Victory Riders CMA Road Captain:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinios Chapter Wild Rinos Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:28 PM

Model: Goldwing
Post imported post

If those are input jRCa's and you get the right adapter (mini headset to RCA) it will work just fine

keep the volume on the ipod down about 3/4 to eliminate input distortion
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Psalmist
Post imported post

If those are truly input jacks. often, those jacks are output jacks to go to a power amp. Try everything at low power first.

Dino Hutchings
Fort Smith, AR
1999 pearl silver SE
Still trying to be pleasing before Jesus
Come to Arkansas and ride year round!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to EDDIE W
Post imported post

Psalmist wrote:
Quote:
If those are truly input jacks. often, those jacks are output jacks to go to a power amp. Try everything at low power first.

every stereo ive had with those rca/phono sockets have been for an amp, and the input sockets were for the cd changer, on the last one i had, it had a 3.5mm juck plug socket for the mp3 player, if it has a 2.5mm socket on the back, that usually for the wired remote control console that goes to the searing column, have you not got the cassette adapter to plug into your mp3 player, or one of those fm transmitters,

you also could take the unit to an electronics engineer and ask him to hotwire a cable the the pickup head of the tape deck thus eliminating the cassette adapter,some where on this board someone has done it, try doing a search for it or start a new thread

GSVH
radio hams do it all night !!! and sometimes with frequency
\'88 GL1500
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

redneck wrote:
Quote:
Psalmist wrote:
Quote:
every stereo ive had with those rca/phono sockets have been for an amp, and the input sockets were for the cd changer, on the last one i had, it had a 3.5mm juck plug socket for the mp3 player, if it has a 2.5mm socket on the back, that usually for the wired remote control console that goes to the searing column, have you not got the cassette adapter to plug into your mp3 player, or one of those fm transmitters,
There are 2 sets of rca jacks, 1 set for the output and 1 set says it's for cd input.

The stereo is rather old and useing the cassette adapter doesn't work well over the speakers, and I tryed useing the fm tramsmitter and that worked better but I had the usual fade at times.

I just took the radio out and saw the rca jacks with the cd input and thought these would work for the mp3 player.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to graityrra
Post imported post

Sounds like you have the right setup, then. Just get an adapter cord with 1/8" stereo plug on one side and RCA jacks on the other and you will be in business. You can get one at RadioShack or any other electronics store. They also make an adapter that goes right at the MP3 player with 1/8" male to twin RCA female, but that can be a bit bulky.

Since the jacks are on the back of the radio, you may want to wire an 1/8" female jack onto your dash and hardwire it into the back of the radio. Just make sure it's protected from the elements. And the advice about keeping the MP3 level down is good. Overdriving the input can cause a lot of distortion since RCA inputs are line level rather than a headphone level like the stereo jack on your player.

Scott
Blue \'76 GL1000
Trying to fix her up on a shoestring budget - it\'s a slow process, but well worth the effort!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 05:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Psalmist
Post imported post

I'm sure you thot of this, but test it all out before you put it together in dash. good Luck!

Dino Hutchings
Fort Smith, AR
1999 pearl silver SE
Still trying to be pleasing before Jesus
Come to Arkansas and ride year round!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

I did a benchcheck to make sure it works and everything works great, thanks to all .

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page