windscreen too tall - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

does anyone know of a safe way to cut down a windscreen? i have tried before with a hacksaw and all i did was break it. my screen is about 3 inches too tall for me. i dont want to shell out any money for a shorter one if i can do it myself.

Eschew Obfuscation!

still haves
72 xl250, 80 GL1100

usta haves
69 Triumph Trident, 62 HD SPortster, 75 HD Sportster, 81 and 82 GL500\'s, 79 CX500, 79 KZ650, 73 gt350, 73RD350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I cut down my Cee Bailey about 1" below stock height with a saber saw. Use a plastic cutting blade or a fine tooth wood blade, preferably hollow ground. Don't use a metal cutting blade. Prior to cutting I covered the area that was going to be cut including enough area to keep the foot of the saw from scratching the plastic. Using the saw at a slow speed and with light pressure to keep from melting the plastic which can cause to it grab, make the cut. If you do it with the screen on the bike, make sure you don't let the weight of the say bear sideways on the blade hold it's weight up but keep the saw base tight against the plastic so it won't chatter. It's important to do this in a warm area, if the plastic is cold it will be more brittle than normal.

Once it's cut use a file to smooth the edge. use the file with its long dimension along the edge, not crossways. Once you've got all the saw marks filed out use some fine sand paper, 380 grit wet or dry used wet is a good grade, to polish the edge. The idea is to have it very smooth with no nicks or scratches on the edge which are stress risers and a place for a future crack to start.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 01:56 PM

Post imported post

I've trimmed a couple of windshields with a pneumatic cut-off tool - it has a circular disk for a cutting blade, and nearly melts the plastic as much as grinds it away.

I would lay down masking tape along the desired contour just to keep my handiwork lined up. I didn't worry about the subtle aspects while cutting - clean them up later with rasps and sandpaper.

This method works with very little risk of cracking the screen.

Jack

We are like stripes in a tube of toothpaste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I think if was Silverfox who used a dremel tool to sucessfully cut his windshield, said it worked well. By all means use plenty of masking tape, good for marking out the curve and will prevent scratches. If you saw I recommend a drop cloth around the windshield and covering the bike if you leave the plastic on the bike while cutting. It makes a surprising mess and the little plastic sawdust particles are kinda like plastic peanuts, they want to stick to everything.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 05:47 PM

Year: 2001
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800A (ABS)
Post imported post

I"ve done two with my angle grinder and a very thin diamond 4" disc. No problem. Left the screen on the bike and finished the edges off with wet and dry on a cork block. Mark the cutting line with a felt pen parallel to the top. Also cut out a vent hole with same. Cover the bike with dropsheets. Easy- peasy !! You can use the diamond disc on almost anything (toenails etc...)

Having a Great Time in Mandurah, Western Australia with my Hot Rod Yellow 2001 GL1800A with $5000 of Acc. which I didn"t pay for.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page