1986 GL1200 SEI Pulse Coils / Pulse Generators - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have had a problem that I posted previously about the bike losing power when hot. I checked the heat problem and I am confident that the cooling system is fine. Using a pistol grip thermometer, I found that after warm up, radiator temperature went from about 180 F at the inlet to 110-115 at the outlet. Seems more than adequate.

The other thing that people suggested was the pulse coils, but I have found that very confusing, so I need a little help to sort out the truth.

Pulse generator and pulse coils seem to be used interchangeably for this part, so I'll take that as true.

One forum said that the pulse generator is the same unit as the crankshift position sensor. Is that true? I replaced the crankshift position sensor (located under the timing belt cover) a couple of years ago and I'd be surprised if it's gone bad again, so I probably need to look for something else.

The shop I go to ordered a part (Honda OEM 36142-mg9-951), which is labeled a pulse generator. The parts schematic is attached to this post. This, apparently, is mounted on the back of the engine based on the direction shown to the front. However, I can locate no such assembly on the rear of the engine. Both manuals I have consulted (Haynes and Clymer) say that Honda moved the pulse generator to the front under the timing belt cover beginning with the 1985 model year. The Clymer manual shows the attached schematic, but labels it the camshaft position sensor for the 1984 model. 1985-87 are shown under the timing belt cover on either side of the crankshaft.

But several online parts fiche sets do show this part for the 1986 GL1200 SEI, with the attached schematic as the location.

Can anyone shed light on the actual location of the pulse generators on the 1986 GL1200 SEI? Are they the same as the crankshaft position sensor?

This is getting more desparate as the problem has progressed to the point that the like now runs erratically even before it is hot, and craps out completely much sooner.

Thanks!

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ERICTU%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2475_PULSE GENERATOR.gif (39.3 KB, 112 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 PM

Post imported post

Eric, I also had an '86 SEI fuel injected bike so I hopeI can help with this info. The NS (Crank sensor which is also erronously referred to as a pulse generator) is located under the front cover behind the timing belt. The actual Pulse generator is located on the back of the head on the right side of the bike (as in your sitting position) it is located about where your right foot would touch the back of the cylinder head, you will notice a cover that resembles the one in your parts sketch.

When you replaced your crank (NS) sensor did you replace it with a new one or a used one? It may seem odd that one would only last a couple of years but you must remember that these things have been discountinued for nearly two decades and that even though the partswere new it dosen't mean that they are in the best of condition due to age. It is wise to get a couple of spares of the crank sensors (will have to be used since they are depleted from the Honda warehouses now) and keep one in a saddlebag for emergencies. This sensor is exposed to alot of high temps due to its location and if you do alot of in town or city driving where temps will build up quick these sensors will go bad sooner, same with the pulse generators located behind the head, heat is their worst enemy. Average life for these parts when the bikes were new were around 50 - 60,000 miles at best.

When my bike began stumbling and backfiring I had to replace both to totally solve the problem. Apparently when either of these go bad theyproduce almost the same symptoms.

Good luck

TNroadrider

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

TNRoadrider:

As my mother used to say, "If it'd been a snake, it would've bit me." I was looking on the rear case. It was right where you said, on the rear of the head.

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor w/ OEM part but, as you say, it may have been sitting on a shelf for a long time. I'll put the pulse generator in, then see where I am.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Post imported post

Glad to be of help, I hope you get the problem worked out before long, any problems just post again or drop me a PM

TNroadrider

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page