Changing rear tire on 96 gl1500 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I amgetting ready to buy a 1996 gl1500se, It does not have many more miles left on the rear tire. How hard is it to get the wheel off to take to the tire shop. This will save quite a bit of labor. It also has a rear hitch, I understand from some of thequotes I have gotten that this adds about 1 hour morelabor to the job. Is there anything I should worry about getting wrong?

thanks Jeffo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:48 PM

Post imported post

I took mine off recently and it had a tow bracket fitted took about 50 min if that, just need left saddlebag off twist exhaust down or remove the silencer mine has holliwood cans so i removed them no need to touch anything on the right side just undo the spindle nut remove the rear mudguard and the tow bar wheel just rolls out the back easy have a look at the pads whilst you are in there or just get a set and change them check the oil level in the diff too or change it use 80/90 gear oil might as well do the lot then you know where you are up to with it
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 82winginvegas
Post imported post

siataukreg wrote:
Quote:
have a look at the pads whilst you are in there or just get a set and change them check the oil level in the diff too or change it use 80/90 gear oil might as well do the lot then you know where you are up to with it

Thats what I'm doing next weekend. I'm going to do the tire change myself. the shop wants $40 to do one tire. Heres a site that will walk you through the right way to get the job done. Youtube.com has some videos pertaining to tire removal and balancing. It looks like its more time consuming than anything.

OOPS , heres the site http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-doc.html

What happens in Vegas, happens on my wing!

My 1982 1100I restoration project....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Model: 2012 GL1800 Red
Send a message via Yahoo to Wing-Rider
Post imported post

You don't need to remove the saddlebag. Maybe you do if you don't have a lift. If you do, the saddlebag can stay on.

All I wanna do is ride, ride, ride!....And enjoy every minute of it too! Used to own a GL1500!!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Post imported post

Make sure you put some fresh Moly 60 on the splines while you've got the wheel off too

Miles
Double darksiding on my newly triked ride!

Remember, while you are the oldest you have ever been, you are also the youngest you will ever be - and it\'s all running out pretty fast so make the most of what\'s left!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Year: 2007
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Just found out my 96 SE needs rear disc pads, I replaced them 10 mi ago along with the rear tire, I bust my rear end getting all this done as I did not remove the saddle bags as per the book, What is the best way to just do the pads???? Earlier post said remove the LS saddle bag???
Kenny
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Wing-Rider wrote:
Quote:
You don't need to remove the saddlebag. Maybe you do if you don't have a lift. If you do, the saddlebag can stay on.
I don't see how you can get therotor out of the caliper to get enough clearance to pull the wheel out of the final drive without removing the caliper, and to do that on the 1500 you have to remove the left saddlebag. No problem on the 1800 but it is on the 1500.

Likewise I don't see anyway to change the pads in the caliper without removing the left side saddlebag.

Mea Culpa!
Change of opinion: Afer clearing up some senior moments I realized it is of course possible since once one pulls the axle, the caliper on it's mount is free so it can be pulled away enough so the wheel can be pulled out of the splines. I think I'll continue to do the job by removing the left bag, seems to me to make it easier to see what you're doing but that's personal preference.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM

Post imported post

Thanks, seems like that is the general concensus. Off comes the LS Bag. Thanks again. Kenny
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to treker8098
Post imported post

I am taking my GL1500 to the shop and letting them change the tires. They want $60 for the rear and $30 for the front. I understand they put the bike ona lift and drop the tire down after pulling the axle. They tell me they will not pull the saddlebags. I wonder if purchasing a lift from Harbor Freight woud be worth while.

Hugh Ray
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Post imported post

That's how I did it 2 years ago, I have a hook on the beam in my garage, I took the seat off and used nylon slings and a come along and pulled the rear of the SE off the ground about 3 ft. I worked real well. I just don't want to go through all that for brake pads.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page