Is an electronic cruise control necessary? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1983 GL 1100 I
Send a message via AIM to dan filipi
Post imported post

My son and I took a trip to Mesa AZ to visit my brother in the hospital over a quick 2 days this last week.

With money tight and the price of gas the decision was easy to take the 1100, besides, what better opportunity to test the cruise control!

Let me tell you, if you do any touring at all, a cruise control is worth every penny and all the time installing it!
The Audiovox unit I put in performed great on the 900 mile ride.
Except for 2 times when the speed mysteriously dropped about 5 mph then the unit seemed to "wake up", it kept us within 3 mph of the set speed with no fluctuations or surging.

MPG didnt show any improvement over the usual, I didnt expect it anyway, although I think it might do better if I get the throttle pull on the cam instead of on the 2/4 side.

This was the best improvement to my bike since putting the GPS mount on.

The tips I got from Sandiegobrass helped alot mounting the cable and getting it dialed in properly. The settings are the same as the Rostra unit btw.
Thanks again SB

1983 GL1100 Interstate with 1200 engine, single carb, and C5 ignition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Model: 07 1800 "The Beast" 100K
Post imported post

Really glad it worked out for you. I don't know how I rode in the past with out "Auto Pilot". The throttle controls are OK but not like the real thing.

Sorry to hear about your brother, hope all turns out OK.

Regards Longboater,

MORE TAIL WAGGING and less barking please.

Heading for the sun set and checking the boxes along the way.
(until the keys are taken away)

Ned

Past rides:
USS TENCH (SS 417)
Yamaha 65
Honda 85
Kawasaki 125
Penton 125
Zuki 185
Husky 250
Honda VTX 1300

Enjoying Florida, come-on-down
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Great!! and I enjoy mine every time I ride.... now it is your turn to tell us how to get 3 1/2 barrels of MANA...SDB/Jim

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Man I dont know, it's always been at 3 1/2.
I think it's stuck.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Longboater wrote:
Quote:
Really glad it worked out for you.Â* I don't know how I rode in the past with out "Auto Pilot".Â* The throttle controls are OK but not like the real thing.

Sorry to hear about your brother, hope all turns out OK.

Regards Longboater,
Thanks,

He fell off a ladder, now has a herniated disk.
What really sucks though is they found cancer.
We should know more in the next couple days.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:37 PM

Post imported post

That's really a bummer about your brother. Positive thoughts going his way. Used to think getting news like that would be no biggy until the Dr. said I needed heart surgery. Knocked the wind out of me big time.

The cruise control is an absolute necessity in my book. My brother bought a bike (Venture Royale) in an eBay auction. It was about 600 miles away so we set off two up on my GL1500. First thing he discovered was how nice it was to talk over the intercom rather than screaming at each other. Then it was his turn to drive and he said he wouldn't use the cruise because he wasn't used to the bike. Not too many miles down the road he was asking instructions how to make the cruise work. When we got to the dealership where his Yamaha was the one thing he absolutely insisted on was the cruise control had to work. It makes long rides much more painless.

There\'s no such thing as sanity and that\'s the sanest fact - Dire Straits

Past:

Honda 150 Dream
1947 Harley (stolen before ridden)
Honda 250 Scrambler
Honda 450 Scrambler
1980 Honda CB650

Present:

95 GL1500A (Pearl Sierra Green)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wing on amsoil
Post imported post

hey there i was told i could not get a cruise unless it was factory how do i find one.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

wing on amsoil wrote:
Quote:
hey there i was told i could not get a cruise unless it was factory how do i find one.
Several choices.. the audiovox vacuum unit is the most popular add-on, but several of us have fitted the Rostra all electronic.. You'll probably have $150 in the audiovx and >200 in the Rostra.. HERE is the Rostra instructions that I put up for my GL1100. should be about the same for a 1200.. SDB/Jim

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

There isnt a cruise control available from Honda for our old bikes that I'm aware of but a car type add on is easily installed.
There are also M/C type electronic after-market controls available for about 3 times the cost.

Check out this post by sandiegobrass about installing a Rostra unit.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/30381.html

(ya beat me to it SDB)

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in