84 GL1200 start problem - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Bought a 84 Aspencade yesterday. This morning it would barely crank like a low battery. Hooked jumper cables(good "00"welding cable type)to the car(not running)and it cranked but still sluggish. Can the starter brushes be replaced with starter still on engine or do I have to pull the engine? HELP!!

Ride like you want to ride tomorrow. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:06 PM

Model: None
Post imported post

Welcome, your not screwed, you do have a bit of work to do. At 1984 your bike will ned maineance, the usual but most neglect the electrics.

Check the battery for charged condition, with a hydrometer, any thing else leaves you guessing. Do all the wiring and connectors, clean and be sure connections are good.

If the stater is sluggish you must determine whether its the electrical supply or the motor itself or both.

Ceck the simple things first.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 PM

Post imported post

If it turns out that you do need to remove the starter you do not need to remove the engine. On most you need to remove the shift lever, One bolt. On some you need to remove the left side exhaust headers to get enough room. Fairly easy really.

If you take the starter apart be carefull with the shim washers on the shaft. Make a diagram and show how many there are so you get them back on right. Look at the armature for signs of dragging which will mean a bad bushing.

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks. I think it's probably the starter because even hooked to a car battery it is sluggish. Ijumped acrossthe solenoid and got the same results. I haven't downloaded the factory manual yet but the Clymer manual I got with the bike states on the 84 & 85 models "Do not remove the starter with the engine in the frame. The starter drive sproket and drive chain is not captured within a guide like on the 86& 87 modelsand will move away from the hole in the engine rear cover and the starter cannot be reinstalled onto these 2 items" . I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to take it somewhere and pay big $$ to pull the engine. I feel confident I could pull the starter and rebuild it myself if I don't have to pull the engine.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 05:01 PM

Post imported post

34Mike wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. I think it's probably the starter because even hooked to a car battery it is sluggish. Ijumped acrossthe solenoid and got the same results. I haven't downloaded the factory manual yet but the Clymer manual I got with the bike states on the 84 & 85 models "Do not remove the starter with the engine in the frame. The starter drive sproket and drive chain is not captured within a guide like on the 86& 87 modelsand will move away from the hole in the engine rear cover and the starter cannot be reinstalled onto these 2 items" . I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to take it somewhere and pay big $$ to pull the engine. I feel confident I could pull the starter and rebuild it myself if I don't have to pull the engine.
Again...You do not need to remove the engine. Leave on sidestand while you do the job....

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks Bob. I have read that you don't even have to leave it on the side stand but I WILL just to be sureOH....and Hi from a fellow Ham, KD5VHF here. 73

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Post imported post

Ok you HAMS theHOGS are on another site.

DOnt remove the engine. As said before 2 bolts + the wire stud wiglle out. Reinstalling has become a bit troublesome for a few but its not impossible. After you do it a few times itl slide in like butter.

I have returned to the wonderful saunders forum after a 2 year hiatus. I realilzed the grass can never be greener.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I pulled the starter this morning to see how bad it was and order whatever parts were needed. Other than being full of the black dust,one of the brushes was stuck in the guide. Gave the whole thing a good cleaning, made sure the brushes would slide in the guidesand new grease in the front and it now works GREAT! It now starts better hot than it did cold before. Thanks to everyone for the help.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to crusty
Post imported post

hey! i got a similar problem, mine was cranking just fine and then started to just click, batt. is new, think it might just be a ground problem, what do you think?
Crusty

Mike O.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

Crusty, I'd start by checking all connections for tightness as well as corrosion. Start at the battery and work your way to the starter motor, then go back to the battery and work your way to ground.

Make sure you actually take the connections apart, don't just glance at 'em and say "looks clean", you can't see what's between the mating surfaces.

And do NOT discount the battery just because it's new. N-E-W doesn't spell GOOD in any dictionary I've ever picked up. Get a hydrometer and give it a check as well.

Mike

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page