Passenger arm rest help please - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Hi clever people.....

I have aquired a set of arm rests that are designed to fit behind the grab handles on the seat. I thought this would be a simple task, but I have a slight snag.

On my 1800 the handle has a shaped tapered rubber piece with a hollow shaft running through it for each bolt mounting. The tapered rubber fits into "cupped" shape receivers on the seat apparently. The arm rest mounting bracket has holes that neither the tube nore tapered rubber will pass through.

I am now assuming that I will have to cut off the tapered rubber and shaft fluch with the flat of the handle and insert the cut off pieces behind the armrest mounts to keep it all in line correctly.

Below is a picture of the grab handle ends with the dome shaped area shown and the next picture is of the mounting plate of the armrests.

Anyone come across this issue and can advise me what they have done, before I take to the grab handles with a hacksaw!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arm rests 001 (Small).jpg (13.9 KB, 78 views)

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

Grab handle cones/ tapers/domes at the seat mounting point above and the armrest mounting plate pictured below.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arm rests 002 (Small).jpg (43.0 KB, 77 views)

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 11:49 AM

Post imported post

wouldn't it be easier to drill out the bracket so that the mounts fit the hole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

I did consider this BB, but the rubber dome, would have keptthe handle pushed out and that dome shaped rubber seems to serve to retain the seat material around the holes. I did't want the seat ending up tearing over time, just to satisfy my desire to fit the arm rests.

Anyhow, this is what I have done: I cut the domes and tube off, flush with the flat surface of the handles and put them as spacers behind the bracket. That has worked satisfactorily.

My next issue was that the mounting bracket on the left side of the bike, fouled the rear heated seat control. Not wanting to do any major damage to the chrome, I got round this by bending the arm rest bracket round from 90 degrees so that it was clear of the seat controller. This took some serious beating with a hammer and a piece of wood to protect the chrome surfaces. I have not bent the other side's bracket, since it is not fouling anything and the difference is not noticeable.

So, basically, "job done" as they say.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:19 PM

Post imported post

thats what its all about, good job
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Year: 1975, 2015
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000, GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Bodgit and Scarper, improvements on the sly.

Paul
2015 GL1800 40th Anniversary Ladybug.
1975 GL1000K0
1992 ST1100M

Confusion will be my Epitaph....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

Couple of new shots of the bike with arm rests fitted in the gallery now.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 09:33 PM

Model: GL1800 2015 Red
Post imported post

I found this interesting because the armrests I have offered up as a prize in the short story competition are exactly the same.

I decided there was no way I could make it fit on the left, hence the offer!

I wondered about the domed piece but didn't want to cut my handles. In fact it isn't necessary, the bracket can go flush against the seat, and the handles stick out a bit, looks funny though.

There isn't actually a domed bit on the seat, the stuffing stops short around the hole, so the end of the cone goes down to the metal/rubber bushing and the seat material fluffs up around the dome to look good.

Seems to me the cut off dome is a good idea, but I don't know about blodging the bracket

I did consider making a piece of something to go over the bracket dome outside of the mounting plate so it would look better than just the straight bracket, but the only way I could see to fix the heat control thing was to cut a hole in the bracket, then it would rust etc.

I just told the missus she couldn't have armrests.

John

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 12:30 AM

Post imported post

Thanks for the heads-up on the arm rests, I was considering a set like those.

2008 GL1800B (Airbag)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

English Bob wrote:
Quote:
I found this interesting because the armrests I have offered up as a prize in the short story competition are exactly the same.

I decided there was no way I could make it fit on the left, hence the offer!

I wondered about the domed piece but didn't want to cut my handles. In fact it isn't necessary, the bracket can go flush against the seat, and the handles stick out a bit, looks funny though.

There isn't actually a domed bit on the seat, the stuffing stops short around the hole, so the end of the cone goes down to the metal/rubber bushing and the seat material fluffs up around the dome to look good.

Seems to me the cut off dome is a good idea, but I don't know about blodging the bracket

I did consider making a piece of something to go over the bracket dome outside of the mounting plate so it would look better than just the straight bracket, but the only way I could see to fix the heat control thing was to cut a hole in the bracket, then it would rust etc.

I just told the missus she couldn't have armrests.
You have described exactly the issue that I found and the only difference is that I chose to cross myself and just go for it!!!!

I was gutted to find that the bracket was going to foul the heated seat control but having cut off the domes and found that it worked for that problem, I was determined to then overcome the fouling issue. Despite the effort, the ammount the bracket needed bending was very little and it clears the controler by some 1/2" now.

To clarify, I got these armrests secondhand from ebay, much more cheaply than I would have had to pay for new, so it was less fraught with worry than it might have been with new ones. Having fitted them I would say that I like the net result, they are nice and sturdy and look good. The rests do not have to be swivelled outwards to enable opening of the top box lid or the cubby pockets, they can remain in the "closed position". The down side will be a more fiddly job to remove the seat, with those domed spacers to consider as well as the arm rest bracket.

Unfortunately there are no makers marks on the armrests I bought, so I cannot pass that info on I am afraid.

Anyone wishing to buy ones that mount under the grab rails would do well to ask if the ones they are buying will fit the model with the seat heater control fitted.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page