Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

79 GL1000 Won't Crank

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rcmatt007 
#1 ·
imported post

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I was hoping someone could help. I have a 79 GL1000. I've had this bike for about 6 years and it's always been great. Well, I've ridden it this spring but today it won't start. The battery has a full charge. All of the electrical stuff works fine but when I try to start it, it doesn't crank at all. I've played with the clutch switch but that seems to be working fine. When I hit the starter button, the headlight goes off so I get the feeling that the button is fine. Any tips on where to go from here? Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
imported post

Sounds likeit's the starter relay. To test this, make sure the bike is in neutral, and us a booster cable to jump from the positive terminal on the battery directly ti the terminal on the starter. If the starter spinns you can be pretty sure it's the relay. The relay is located to the right (towards the rear of the bike) of the battery.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
imported post

Good advice from Broke Winger. Try that first because it is the easiest test and will tell you the most.

Knowing that the headlight goes out when the button is pressed helps, but it doesn't necessarily tell us that the neutral/clutch switches are ok. The start button is actually 2 separate switches inside one housing---one works the headlight and the other works the starter circuit.

When you press the start button can you hear the starter solenoid (relay) clicking? It is located right behind the battery.

There are5 things that could cause this problem:

1. Burned out starter motor

2. Burned out starter solenoid/relay

3. Defective starter pushbutton

4. Defective neutral & clutch switches

5. A broken wire

I have attached a simplified diagram of the starter circuit. Hope this helps.

Attachments

#4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies. There is NO clicking sound when the start button is pushed. Also, the clutch switch seems to be working okay. I've disconnected the leads and put an ohmeter across the leads and also jumpered the leads together andeverything seems okay but still no start.I will try to jump across the solenoid this evening. Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
imported post

try cleaning up the bullet connectors where the wires come into the starter relay... you may just have a corroded connector (sort of like a broken wire) my 78 would start only in neutral, but not with the clutch pulled in, and it turned out to be just that, a corroded connector

btw, the 78-9's are the best looking 1000's:weightlifter:

#6 ·
imported post

It turned out to be just that. The wire that comes into the solenoid from the starter button has a connector just before the relay that was corroded pretty bad. Cleaned all of that up and I'd be riding today if it didn't look like rain. Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
imported post

Junior wrote:
It turned out to be just that. The wire that comes into the solenoid from the starter button has a connector just before the relay that was corroded pretty bad. Cleaned all of that up and I'd be riding today if it didn't look like rain. Thanks for the help.
it always helps to check the simple things first... I, however, changed out the switch at the clutch handle ( a real pita) only to find out is was somrthing simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.