Rear Hub Question - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi All,

Recently I put on new tires and brakes on my 1986 Wing. My question is in regard to the mating of the rear wheel and the drive shaft. The way I remember it was, when I took the rear wheel apart from the drive shaft it was a tight fit, seemed like I had to pop it apart. Got everything done and when I reassembled the wheel to the shaft, it all bolted back together ok, but there seems to be a very small gap where the wheel hub and the drive shaft meet. It is very small, like eighth to quarter inch gap or so. Took it for a test ride and everything seems fine but it was bugging me so I took it all apart again to see if there was an alignment that I missed or something. I have a service manual and there is no mention of any special assembly instructions. I could not find any alignment points so I put it all back together again then went to show it to a mechanic, they said it looked ok. The thing is these guys don't work on old wings and I am not sure of their knowledge about this. I have driven the bike about 1100 miles with no problem other than a slight whinning sound when I lean into the curves. I may be over thinking this and I was wondering, does any one out there have any knowledge or experience with this ?

Thanks,

Steve

Woody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM

Post imported post

Did you install the two spacers in the correct position on the axle shaft during reassembly?

Old Nam Vet
LZ English 66 - 67
New \'08 Titanium Nav
I\'m old and wise, but was once young and stupid.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

Not too sure exactly what you're describing. The part with the splines that has the pins that plug into the wheel is called the driven flange by Honda. It goes into the final drive. There shouldn't be any gap where you can see the splines on the flange when the wheel is on the bike. It might be that the o-ring in the flange didn't get seated. I don't see how the spacers could be out of place because the caliper bracket wouldn't center over the rotor unless the spacers were correct. I can't remember but was there a washer on the side where the caliper goes?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I checked the spacers and they are correct and like you said the brake caliper would not line up. I am not able to see the spline (male side from the wheel)that inserts in the drive hub (female side from the hub) as this is all enclosed when putting the two together. Right where the outer drive hub matches the outer wheel hub when putting them together is where I believe I have the small gap. When I pulled it all apart after the first assembly to double check, I checked to see if the grease I had put on the spline was smeared from inserting to the drive hub. The grease smearing appears fully on the spline so I felt it had inserted all the way into the drive hub, but I do not understand the gap. To help clarify, the spline which is centered on the wheel, inserts into the inner drive hub gear and the outer part of the drive hub appears to insert into the outer wheel hub, this outer part is where I see the gap as the drive hub barely inserts into the outer wheel hub, which would leave me to believe that water and road slime could get into thespline area and wash the spline grease away. Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Woody
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Any chance you could post a picture? There is something wrong, normally the splined area is sealed off by o-rings that prevent dirt getting into the splined area. There should be an o-ring at the base of the splines on the flange that blocks off the splined area from the outside so no dirt or water should enter.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I will try to get a picture posted asap. I have a digital camera, but I have been having a few problems with the computer pulling them up. After I get the picture I will get to another computer to post.

Woody
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I got a few pictures and tried to post just one and the site says the file is too big, any other ideas?

Woody
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Yep, just shrink it down to below 100k. You can use a free program to resize, I like Irfanview.

http://www.irfanview.com/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Looks hard to make out since shrinking, what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Clipboard08.bmp (464.4 KB, 44 views)

Woody
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Postpubescent member

Post imported post

Too blurry to make out, does your camera have a macro setting? If you can set your camera to a lower resolution it will make a smaller file.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page