J & M Microphone Bracket Broken on Open Face Helmet - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The bracket that holds the microphone to my open face helmet is broken.

This is a J & M aftermarket setup, not a Hondaline setup.

The break is just above where the bracket screws to the helmet.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Old Wing rider,

I also have the J&M set-up on open face helmets. I would like to see the break, in case my set-up does the same thing. Is it possible to send a pic of the break and then I might be able to suggest a fix or two, depending on what all the materials are made of.

Scott

Scott & Karla
RETIRED!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Here is pic. I hope you can see it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2674014653/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Post imported post

That is an older J&M....the same kind that came with my bike when I bought it. I bought a J&M for my wife and the newer ones are a one piece that connects to the helmet. I like them better.

I don't know what you can do since it is at the stress point of the connection. But you can find them at for less than $70.

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_deta..._w_1Piece_Cord

Snorebaby (Doug) and Snorebabe (Michele)
'15 GL1800 Scarlett

'90 GL 1500 SE Pearl
'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
Patriot Guard Riders #137660

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I ain't drunk, but I have been drinkin'. (beenshot)

"Carrots & Pickles, Attorneys at Law" (Wingnumberone)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Post imported post

I would simply get a tube of the gel style super glue and glue it back on.......I have several helmets that are about half superglue by now......especially my new symax......something falls off of it just about every week......I just superglue it back on. Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 05:14 PM

Model: 1999 1500SE Motortrike
Post imported post

I have found "Goop" from the "ShoeGoo" people, to be very good, and stays somewhat flexible. I clean parts with acetone, and scuff em a little and clamp em together.

"We are put here, to take care of each other"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

Old Wing rider,

If what I'm seeing is correct, the mic (boom) mounting point is broke. What's the two circles, screws of some type, allen screws? etc? My thoughts on something like this, it's broken anyway so what harm would it be to try and fix it. Worst comes to worst, you'll have to buy a new one. So that said, like I said, I can't tell what the materials are made of so, if it's some sort of plastic, then Home Depot and many auto parts stores sell all kinds of epoxies. I've tried one and my son used one on his broken overflow tank on his Toyota and both applications worked flawless. The glue joint was stronger then factory stuff. It doesn't take much to do the work. A tiny bit of prep, mix the epoxy, apply, wait, it's done. If it doesn't work, what are you out, about $5.00 for the glue, that's it. Then go get a new one. If it does, you get it fixed and, you can use the remainder of the epoxy for other fixes. Good luck.

Scott

Scott & Karla
RETIRED!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page