When replacing fork springs ? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

1988-GL1500. I have owned this bike for 120000km.There has always been a rattle coming for the fork when driving on back roads, pot holes, sounds like springs hitting the inside of the forks. I still have the OE double springs and they are near the service limit. Question is what to replace them with. Progressive ? have heard pros and cons about them. While replacing fork seals on my friends 1999 GL1500 I noticed that here was only one lwr spring with a top spacer of about 6", will they work in my 1988? if so would this be the answer I'm looking for? Any advice would be welcomed.

If it ain\'t broke it will be !
1988 GL1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Model: Stream Silver 2007
Post imported post

Progressive spring are a good option, Traxxion springs are better for about the same money. Traxxion are not a "one size fits all"
I would also replace the bushings and seals while you are there.
http://www.traxxion.com/

Have Wing Will Travel
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Post imported post

Your best bet is going with Progressive springs. They're much better then the stock springs. They are one piece springs. I've had them in my wing for about 6 years and they work great. When getting the springs changed it would make sense to change the fork seals and dust caps as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Just replaced my springs with progressives, and when I went to empty the old fork oil out there was not much in either one may be an eighth of what was suppose to be in there.

That was why my suspension had so much travel, just sitting on the bike would cause the front forks to drop about 5", I weight about 180 lbs.

After the progressive springs with Belray 15wt fork oil, the suspension does not dive anymore, it is firm yet soft, but not as soft as stock, it turn it into a different bike.

A much bertterone, it soaks up the bumps nicely, handles better, (also put a super brace on forks) yet still comfortable. it was just completely worn out, the old fork oil (what little was in there) smelled burnt, and was thin, and black.

Would I do it again, Absolutely! ! !yes, I feelmy bike is much safer than before, and better handling.I stop better, because the bike doesnt dive(lunge) forward throwing all the weight forward as it is diving,kind of out of control is the way it felt. No were near as much dive nowwhen hard braking and feels solidand controlled (safe).

My 2 Cents

Westgl

Current Bikes,
1983 GL1100 72K 32DFT Single 2-bbl Progressive Carb, and Runs Excellent,
1984 GL1200A 55K Reverse Trike Project, Single 2bbl. Progressive carb
1986 GL1200 Interstate, Now Naked, She just turned 43K
1988 GL1500/6 Phantom Grey 2-bbl SCC Trike Mustang GT Rearend, Rear Disc Brakes, HD Mufflers
2005 Burgman 650 20K
07' M109R 1855 miles 130hp 120ft lb torque Reverse Trike 99' Miata front suspension
2013 Honda NC700X 4k, AVG 77.68mpg
2015 Valkyrie, 4K miles Hot rod, Excellent bike
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thankyou very much, I know my oil is good just replaced it when I replaced my seals, I'm going to replace the Fork bushings and I'm thinking quite strongley about installing progressive springs. Are they one size fits all ?

Myles

1988 GL1500
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Garage
Post imported post

yes I believe so,

It is a firmer ride, but I like it, and yes during a fork rebuild it is important to (since it already all apart) replace all wear items, ie: oil seals, dust seals,and bushings, my bushings had some of the coating worn off.

My forks were leaking badly when I bought the bike, probabley why I got such a nice bike for only$3500, PO was just fed up and lost interest, The bike is awesome now after fork rebuild, andcleaning and lubefront calipers.

the oil leaked down on to both the frontbrake calipers, so the brakes/bike did not stop very well. That and it lunging forward.

Westgl

Current Bikes,
1983 GL1100 72K 32DFT Single 2-bbl Progressive Carb, and Runs Excellent,
1984 GL1200A 55K Reverse Trike Project, Single 2bbl. Progressive carb
1986 GL1200 Interstate, Now Naked, She just turned 43K
1988 GL1500/6 Phantom Grey 2-bbl SCC Trike Mustang GT Rearend, Rear Disc Brakes, HD Mufflers
2005 Burgman 650 20K
07' M109R 1855 miles 130hp 120ft lb torque Reverse Trike 99' Miata front suspension
2013 Honda NC700X 4k, AVG 77.68mpg
2015 Valkyrie, 4K miles Hot rod, Excellent bike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Glade it works for ya. Many thanks

1988 GL1500
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Post imported post

Simonone. I have an 88 and it had the spring spacer combination you were asking about in your original post when I bought it. They will work but I think it lowers the front end somewhat when compared to the two piece springs that came in the 88-94 yr. models. I tried progressives and just last week removed them from my trike because of the harsh ride.I also tried them in my 93 goldwing and went to 10w oil but the ride was still too stiff for me. I am one of the few who do not like them. I found a low mileage set of original two piece springs and installed them. The ride is much more to my liking now.

I don\'t know a thing and I can prove it

2002 Orange Goldwing DFT Trike
Cyclemate CM2000 Trailer
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks Roadhog, I think I will install the new bushings and see if that makes any diff. I don't want the ride to be stiff, it pounds ( doesn't bottom out) enough now on our rough canadian roads.

Question for you, Would you not have more weight on the front end with the trike kit installed? A friend of mine installed a trike kit and replace the triple tree ( more rake) he claims it changed the weight ratio up front.

1988 GL1500
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 08:40 PM

Post imported post

The thing with most people that replace there fork springs with progressives is they don't put the oil back in the forks in the appropriate volumes . The proper way to get a nice soft ride is to put less oil in one side then the other this amount can vary when the weight of the rider is more or less . What this is doing gives the effect that one fork compresses sooner and wants to compress sooner . this gets one fork reacting before the other and this smooths out the ride. If the rider is heavy then the difference is less , let us say one ounce of oil. If the rider is lighter then the difference is more let us say two ounces and maybe even a bit more. Depending on what kind of ride you are looking for. Do not go over ten weight fork oil and don't add any air to the suspension . You have the ability to gain the ride that you want with progressives , work with them.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page