body part repair and paint - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have a '80ish Goldwing that has some damage to some of the body parts, such as the cowling. I am trying to get it repaired and painted. The gentleman doing the paint job says that the bondo repair won't work because the cracked parts will split apart once the bike drives down the road. Another painter tells me the bondo will work and the paint guy just doesn't know. I need more of an answer than "Because"! Anyone with suggestions as to whether or not this is true, and if so what else I can use to repair the cracks in this bike will be greatly appreciated. I would like to show the paint guy that girls know what they are doing too. Even though I need input from other sources. Thanks to all that answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

You need to use an ABS plastic repair kit, not bondo. You can also layer fiberglass into it as you apply it on the inside of the piece.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
-----------------------------------
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

When I repaired a crack in a side cover several years ago (didn't get it on securely, it came off and bounced a couple times at highway speed), I first opened the crack up with a fine Dremel tool bit, then after cleaning it all with rubbing alcohol, I used heavy fiberglass cloth epoxied to the inside (where it doesn't show), then epoxy mixed with micro-balloons to fill the visible crack on the outside.

Sanded smooth, took it to a painter who shot it with epoxy based primer, then painted it.

To this day you can't tell where it was broken.

Mike

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Old Broad

Year: 1995
Make: Yamaha Virago
Model: 1985 GL1200 I w/LTD body(SOLD :( )
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to fysty-1
Post imported post

Big Red. A GRRRREAT BIG WELCOME TO THE BEST GOLDWING site on the web, from the west coast of Canada. You have to follow the advice given. ABS cement is designed for ABS plastic of which our bodies are made of. Good luck. Angela.: clapper::c ooldevil: Oh by the wayyou should update your profile with the area that you live so we can guide you to the nearest help or whatever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela, aka fysty-1(R) & Dani(L), S.Surrey, B.C.
1985 Gold Wing GL1200 I(SOLD Apr/2012)
No matter how blue it may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky.
Blue is not the fastest color, but it is the prettiest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(women only)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:45 PM

Model: 88 GL 1500
Post imported post

ABS all the way.

Get it at your local hardware store for a few bucks. It is in the plumbing section next to the PVC joint cement but ABSis black.

Texas _Foosman
1988 GL1500
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mill Rat Send a message via MSN to Mill Rat
Post imported post

Plastic Screen, mite help as blinder. I broked some tabs, going to try it. I need to do test on plastic screen to see it melts 1St. Lee
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page