Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL 1500 final drive reassembly (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/307884-gl-1500-final-drive-reassembly.html)

wingannaprayer 08-01-2008 04:31 PM

imported post

While changing my tires on my '89 GL1500, I decided to lube the splines on my final drive. Removed final drive without a problem. Did the cleaning and lube on driven gear spline and u-joint spline. Went to reinsert drive shaft into u-joint and it just won't go. Splines are good and clean. There doesn't seem to be any blockage, and it should just slide in according to the manual. Has anyone experienced this and how did they remendy? Thanks in advance for you help.

wda-83wing 08-01-2008 06:29 PM

imported post

as far as i know if its lined up with the splines it should go on.

simonone 08-01-2008 07:08 PM

imported post

Did the same thing two weeks ago. almost had a fit. I just kept turning the shaft a little at a time and it slipped right in. If you pull back the rubber boot you can slip something in to help line up the joint with the shaft.
My 2 cents worth. hope this helps.

jimsjinx 08-01-2008 08:11 PM

imported post

I used a piece of bailing wire to compress that spring, and then cut it when it slid in.I have a Motor Trike, but the shaft is the same on that end.The spring makes it tough to do by hand. Hope this helps.The wire method is here in Motor trike maint. somewhere.jimsjinx

Aerowing 08-02-2008 09:02 PM

imported post

I had the same problem on my 90 wing. It was a SOB to put in back in. You just have to keep working it. What helped me was I took a long thin rod and put in under the shaft to hold it straight then pushed it in. Make sure it's in there right. I thought mine was in right and after I put it back together and drove it I heard a whinning noise. It turned out it wasn't in correct and I had to do it all over again. Hope this makes sense to ya.

simonone 08-02-2008 09:25 PM

imported post

Please explain not in correct, I'm thinking that's what I might be hearing.

grambo 08-03-2008 01:42 PM

imported post

hey ive had em go in the 1st time and i had em fight me to the last beer....use a screwdriver at the u joint and pivit it up straight while pushing it in...easier with a helper too...try to spin the rear gear too to help it along

simonone 08-03-2008 01:53 PM

imported post

Aerowing. could you explain to me how you installed it wrong causing a whinning noise. I have the same problem??