82 1100I missing when hot? but coil still fires. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I noticed thursday my bike was getting hard to start when it was hot, but didn't really pay it much mind. Today I rode it about 5 miles and stopped at a store when I tried to start it up agian it was hard to start and when it did start I noticed it didn'tsound right. It had a dead miss came strait home (about 2 miles) pulled the plug wires it was the rear cyl on the right side (sitting on the bike) changed plug (it looked fine) still missing. just stuck a plug in the cap and turned the motor over and it was sparking fine. Well let everything cool went out just now started up and ran fine all cyl fireing and all pipes getting hot . I just ran some sea foam through the tank before,Could itbe carbon. Or at worst mabie just valves out of adjustment? I have some work about 40 miles away starting monday and need the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Guru

Year: 1991 1500 SE & 79 1000 GL.
Model: '79 GL1000 & '91 GL1500
Post imported post

you might have a resister in your spark plug boot failing. you can buy new ones for around $7 each. they dont have to be from honda, but they do have to be designed for a bike. they screw on to your plug wires and the small screw goes into your solid core of your plug wire.

If ya cant fix it with a hammer, it's prolly lectrical
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Village Whack Job...

Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

I would suggest replacing all four plug boots (part number XD05F they are made by NGK) They run about 4 bucks each.

When you replace them cut about an inch off your wires t make sure you will get good clean wire to screw into.

You could also have a bad coil. There could be a crack or thin area inthe coils housing that when hot it allowing spark to "leak" out.

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:18 AM
SC

Post imported post

SeaFoam can break do-do free and clog jets

Get on the interstate and blow the do-do-out

May not be a bad idea to crack a sediment bowl drain screw and see if any do-do comes out
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the info guys

Hatchetman I don't see any set screws on the plug caps.

Brokewinger Any chance I could get them at a auto parts store or will I need to order them from someone online or the dealer? What about wires as well?

It did it agian this morning and I removed the plug cap and it is getting spark.

SC I thought about trying to run it out but was afraid with one cyl down I might cause more damage.

I did notice it seemed to miss fire (fire during the exhaust stroke) when it did it this morning.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Guru

Year: 1991 1500 SE & 79 1000 GL.
Model: '79 GL1000 & '91 GL1500
Post imported post

un screw the plug boot from the wire and look inside where the wire came out of.

If ya cant fix it with a hammer, it's prolly lectrical
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ok I went out and swapped the caps from front to rear, No change still loosing the same cyl.It is like it reaches a cirtain temp (my temp gauge does not work) and you just turn that cyl off.But even cold that cyl does not seem as strong as the rest.

The bike does have the normal hole in the exaust at the end of the head pipe that I patched with jb weld but I have no idea how long it has been riddenwith a major hole in it before I got it so I am really thinking burnt valve. But I am not understandingwhy it seems worse once the bike gets warm.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Post imported post

i think hatchet's got it ....and bad wires...oh!!... failing pickup too??hatchetman wrote:
Quote:
un screw the plug boot from the wire and look inside where the wire came out of.

91 GL1500
91 Electraglide
A prior Buffet of GL l000\'s,1100s\',1200s\'
had Some nice old 650 trumpets...(fun!!)
many dirt and streets..cant remember!!

Ask the wrench god 1st!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Check the valve clearances, as an engine warms up parts expand. That cylinder may have less valve clearance than the other when cold and close up to nothing once warmed up and holding a valve open, probably the exhaust valve. If the intake valve was hanging open it would backfire through the carbs when it fires. Do a compression check to be sure.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
-----------------------------------
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Post imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Quote:
Check the valve clearances, as an engine warms up parts expand. That cylinder may have less valve clearance than the other when cold and close up to nothing once warmed up and holding a valve open, probably the exhaust valve. If the intake valve was hanging open it would backfire through the carbs when it fires. Do a compression check to be sure.
There is a good possibility..

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page