1500 starts and then dies - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am having a problem with my 1500. It started when it died on me on the road. After trailoring it back to the house and checking fuses, relays, diodes and changing cruise computer I still have a problem with it dying. I can start it but after it warms up and I kill it; I can start it but it immediately dies. Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

It would help to have a bit more information. When you say it starts and warms up will it keep running until you stop it? Then when it's hot it won't start? Or does it die once it gets hot?

The first thing you'll have to determine is whether it's an ignition or fuel problem. A spark plug tester or just a spare plug can help there. Remove the lower fairings so you have access to the spark plugs.Start and warm up the enginethen shut it down and see ifit will start.If not,insert a spark plug tester or disconnect one spark plug and using a spare plug, insert the plug into the spark plug connector and lay the plug on the cylinder head to get a ground. Then try cranking your engine and see if you have spark. If you have spark at the plug the problem is probably fuel related if you don't it's most likely ignition problems. If there's no spark one possible source of the problem could be the pulse coils mounted under the timing belt cover on each side of the crank pulley. Often when these go bad they fail when hot and then when cooled down will work again until they get hot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to treker8098
Post imported post

My GL1500 problem was intermitant and left me on the road a few times before I replced the fuel pump with an aftermarket set-up. The fuel pump runs for about 5 seconds as the key is turned on. Turns out my pump would run and then not run. As a side note, my dealer checked my VIN and discovered that the bank angle sensor for the fuel pump had not been changed and they replaced it free of charge due an old recall.

Hugh Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

When I start it it will run until I stop it. Then it won't stay running after I try to start it again. Also if I pull out the taillight/headlight fuse it will start and run "like a new one". I have checked the fuses and most of the grounds to make sure they have a good contact. I do not have any blown fuses and the relays have tested good.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I have found my problem. maybe it will help someone else out. I found a ground wire that was loose/not getting good contact.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 06:04 AM

Post imported post

don't know the answer for you, but having a very similar problem with a 1985 goldwing 1200 aspencade . starts like a charm runs fiveish minutes and dies, and then it won't crank for a long time. but after that same song, fiveish minutes again.

just thought i'd let you know you are not the only guy with problems.. have a great one noe

loyd

"How do you tell a happy motorcyclist? With the Love Bugs in his teeth."

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page