Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Overdrive on 96 GL1500 SE (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/309050-overdrive-96-gl1500-se.html)

08-16-2008 02:35 AM

imported post

As a first time Wing owner, I just bought a 96 SE, I'm hearing different stories about overdrive on the bike. When I ride in 5th at 60mph (100km/h) The bike is revving at 2850 rpm, some people tell me the O/D should automatically cut in and the light on the dash should come on then the revs should drop and some people(mostly the place where I bought it) are saying there is no O/D on the model. Which is it? Last thing, the cruise control doesn't work, could this affect it?

Any and all help appreciated.

wexy 08-16-2008 03:44 AM

imported post

5th gear is the overdrive ,, The OD light should come on ,on the dash ,

it is not an automatic overdrive ,just 5th gear ,

On the cruise question ,is the "cruise" light coming on when you push the cruise button? if it is and then does not set then the most likely cause is the levers ,If they have been changed to chrome aftermarket ones ,chances are the micro switches are not clicking in and out at the lever ,,next time you are riding at 50 mph in 5th gear set the cruise and push the clutch lever out and see does the cruise come on and then if not push the front brake lever out and see does it work ,Ciaran ,

You can call me here at the shop if you need any help . 053 9422522

wingnut 08-16-2008 04:12 AM

imported post

Ciaran is right. 5th gear is just another gear and is often called overdrive. The OD light should come on when you select 5th gear, if it doesn't then either the bulb or switch is faulty.
The handlebar switches are the most common cause of Cruise not working, if you use the search function here you will find many topics about this and how to cure the problem.

08-16-2008 04:20 AM

imported post

Thanks Ciaran and Wingnut, as a new Wing owner it's great to have people like you to explain the "foibles" of the model. I will try that this very afternoon but is 200 miles to a tank normal?

SHREK snr 08-16-2008 04:29 AM

imported post

Yes 200 is good for a 1500 :waving::waving::waving:

08-16-2008 04:31 AM

imported post

Again many thanks guys. I'm just not used to her yet and am still trying to understand all the quirks.

SHREK snr 08-16-2008 04:34 AM

imported post

Mark take your time the wing is a great bike but you have to adjust your riding habits she is a big old girl.:waving::waving::waving:

08-16-2008 04:38 AM

imported post

Yeah, she certainly is, But lovable nonetheless!