1980 GL1100 "restoration" project - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:34 PM

Model: GL1100 / GL1200
Post imported post

rjs wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Mike. At this point, I am still considering the repair option. Was your crack on the mount itself or the fairing panel? If the panel, please let me know what you did to fix it.

If I were to buy your fairing, first would it fit a 1980, and second what would it take to change the colour? (I have never done any body work, so assume I know nothing including what kind of paint or whatever I would need.)
Yes, it will bolt straight up to an '80. That's why I bought it. My own is an '80

My fairing cracked out along the right side mount due to the upper mount bolt (through the frame, up under the tank shell) losing it's nut. I wrapped heavy fiberglass cloth from the edge of the face panel, across the mount surface, and about 2" up the inside panel of the fairing. Drilled it, masked it off, and sprayed it down with Krylon satin black. Unless you're really looking for it, you can't see it.

For cracks on the face surfaces...Man, I wouldn't even try it, but then again, I've never been really good at body work. You're looking at trying to repair cracked ABS plastic, and I've never seen, or heard of a really good way for a backyard body-man to do it.

I'd planned on taking that fairing (and the rest of my pans) to a guy locally who has a shop and is highly recommended by bikers around here. My old girl looks good as she sits, but some of the road dings in her just annoy me when I'm polishing her up.

Mike

Mike Kramer

"Learn from the past, set vivid, detailed goals for the future, and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control: Now."

Denis Waitley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Post imported post

chris in va wrote:
Quote:
Not sure on the other stuff, but I wouldn't expect the stator to be going out after just 60k miles. If it still puts out 17-65v AC, should be fine.

Vibration, could be the carbs. I recently 'restored' an 83 that had sit around for pretty much 6 years in someone's backyard. Once I installed Randakk's carb kit and changed out the old timing belts, it runs REALLY smooth on the freeway. I mean, you simply cannot feel any vibration whatsoever at 4k rpm under normal load. I never thought a 4 cylinder could do that.

Now the low rpm rattle/noise is a different matter that I'm trying to sort out. Probably normal though.
I don't have a problem with the stator, but someone "who should know" told me I could expect problems by 100,000 km. Perhaps he meant 100,000 miles? Since my bike is fast approaching 100,000 km, I am worrying about it deciding to go.

As for the carbs, your story sounds a lot like mine. I bought from a little old lady widow some years after her husband stopped riding it. Can you explain why the carbs could affect vibration? I really don't get that aspect. As for the belts, I thought I read another message where the author replaced old belts and saw an improvement, so that I can understand. A little loose or stretched and things would run much less well, but not bad enough to force you to do anything.

Can you tell me more about the carb kit and what "installing" it really means?

Thanks,
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM

Post imported post

The Stator issue was on the GL1200 models.

The hardest part of doing the rebuild kit is getting the carbs off the bike and then separating them. I then took them apart and took the carb bodies into a good bike shop to get them sonic bathed. Then did the rebuild, but make sure you have the floats adjusted properlybefore you put it together.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page