GL1800 Voltage Regulator - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Post imported post

Im having charging problems with my GL1800 and it might be the voltage regulator. Where abouts is it and how do I get to it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 01:44 PM

Post imported post

I am sure the 1800 uses a automobile type alternator. The regulator will be part of it...

Bob..KF4GP
If it ain\'t broke, fix it till it is!

Life is ten percent what you make it, and ninety percent how you take it!

79 GL1000 46K
86 R80RT
90 K75RT
Garage won\'t hold any more!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Post imported post

What year is the bike and how old is the battery? Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 AM

Post imported post

Hi

My bike is a 2004 GL1800 A4 with 80,000 miles on the clock.

I put a voltmeter across the battery and it reads 11 volts - when I start the engine and repeat the test it still reads 11 volts. The battery is 18 months old.

Im going to replace the cruise control fuse as I understand that this might affect the charging but all suggestions would be welcome.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 AM

Post imported post

Yes it sounds like quite possibly the charging system is faulty. However before you remove the alternator......pull the left side covers and clean all the connections, and those at the battery also. Sometimes just a connector such as at the battery will look fine but not allow contact. Also some batteries will decide not to accept a charge, you would think you would get full voltage at the battery posts during charging....but this is not always the case......if a battery has a dead cell.....it will not accept the charge and fool you into thinking the alternator is bad........so have the battery tested also before going to the alternator.

If this is not it...........battery voltage should be 13 plus volts......and the 1800 when revved up a bit will put out 15 volts. So if you are sitting at 11 volts then yes you have most likely a regulator problem. The regulator is built into the alternator and sits in the rear of the housing.......it is very similar to one you would find on a car.

So if you clean the connections......all clean and tight.....all the fuses good..battery tested....and you still get 11 volts........best just purchase a new alternator and install it.......yes you can have it repaired......you can run resistance checks on the alternator coil....and the slip rings......but just like on a car......80,000 miles......is a good life for an alternator.
The cost and expense of tearing the alternator down.......and installing a new rectifier/regulator.....is almost as much as just purchasing a new one and bolt it in.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 AM

Post imported post

Thanks for your advice Kit
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 AM

Post imported post

If the regulator fails it almost always results in overcharging instead of undercharging, up to 16 or 17 volts. Low readings like 11 volts indicates an internal alternator fault, thats assuming you already checked connections etc like Kit says. I know lots of GL1800 owners who had alternators die and mostly with less than half the miles that you have, so you are definitely not alone.

GL1800 SatNav, red 2006
GL1500 Aspencade, blue 1999
GL1200 Aspencade, blue 1986
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page