Questions About GL1800 GPS Navigation System - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Post imported post

I am using the Harley-Davidson Road Tech Quest GPS navigation system. It is actually a Garmin, but it says Harley-Davidson on it so they can charge you more for it. It's an add-on, but with a fairing mount made for my bike. Both the unit and the mount are purchased from Harley-Davidson.

I really like the way it works and the things it can do. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the small screen. The Goldwing 1800 GPS has a much larger screen and better display. I have not had a chance to play with one and I would like to know if it can do afew critical things that I would not want to be without.

The most important is the computer software. My Garmin unit has computer mapping software for my home computer, with which I can sit at my desk and easily create and edit routes and waypoints and then download them (via USB) directly to the unit. It is MUCH easier than trying to work up a route on the unit. I can also, while riding,save my current locationat any time, name it, describe it, and navigate to it later. I can upload these waypoints to the home computer for safekeeping. They can be categorized and arranged in logical groups. I can save and store an unlimited number of routes and waypoints on my home computer and download the ones needed for the part of the country I'm riding in. If I am following a route and I miss a turn, or intentionally do not turn where it tells me to, it will automatically recalculate the route and find me the next best route from where I am. It's really quite an excellent system except for the small screen.

I know very little about the 1800 Goldwing's onboard GPS. I've seen them and I know the display is nice, but I didn't have an opportunity to learn much about them. Could some of you who have them please elaborate a little with some details on what they can and cannot do and how they operate, with specific attention to the things I mentioned above? I will appreciate it.....

Thanx......... Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 AM

Post imported post

The built in GPS on the Wing is a basic model, also made by Garmin. It is a very good unit and works well, easy to read and easy to understand and to set . It was designed for one purpose, to get from point A to Point B , with no fancy stuff along the way.

The only way I have ever figured out to program a route with it is to set up a bunch of favorites, then manually go from one to the other, that does take time.

The Honda GPS is not programmable, not at all. It works off a memory chip , has set functions and you cannot program routes into it and or update it with new roads simply by going to a web site. Every couple of years or so they will sell you a new memory chip.

For the best GPS out there you need to go to the Garmin 550 or better.......units from that caliber and up, you can do just about anything with......but the Honda one, is just a basic unit, very high quality and works very well and is set up quite nicely for its intended purpose, but does not have a bunch of bells and whistles.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page