1978 gl1000 stopped on interstate twice today Gas Cap??? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1981
Make: Gl-1100
Model: Standard
Post imported post

After taking off the fuel line from the pump and blowing in the line, fuel began to flow and I was back on the road. Thought once again, crap in the tank. However, I just drained and flushed out the tank 2 days ago, then put a magnet in and was unable to pull any rust or anything out.
The second time it went from 75 to 0 today i was setting beside the interstate for awhile, pulled my line again and no gas... Then I remembered reading a thread here about plugged gas cap.. reached up and undid cap, and gas started running out the hose.. a little dangerous. I was un-sure however if a 78 gl1000 is supposed to be vented or not for real.. Can anyone tell me. and if so, how do i clean it or make it vent. I think this has been my fuel problem all along..
Opinion??

Patrick Morrissey (Go Irish)
Started on family owned Cushman Scooter
First Bike was a 1967 Riverside 125cc
Dad\'s 78 GW ashes.
Bringing another 1100 back to life, rising from the ashes of my 1000... Thanks to this forum!
"Enjoy the Ride"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:08 AM

Model: 83 GL 1100 I
Garage
Post imported post

your gas cap vent is spring loaded closed . if it has a bunch of rust and gunk in side of it --it may be pluged up. take off the sealing ring and drop it in some parts dip for a couple hours to clean it up. be sure to rinse it out good with water and blow it dry reinstall the sealing ring rubber and give it a try. second items to check would be the fuel pump and filter .

1979 gl1000 dressed --back to naked
1980 gl1100 interstate --side lined
1983 gl1100 interstate the fastest color--RED
retired trucker---going to see it again ----on 2 wheels---love it--love it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1981
Make: Gl-1100
Model: Standard
Post imported post

Thanks WDA, I read in my manual that this is a pressurized system and I was not sure if that meant that the cap was not vented... I have already replaced pump and filter maybe 4 weeks ago. (used pump), have not checked pressure, however, after venting yesterday on the turnpike, it started right up.. twice, once by blowing in the hose, and once just by opening up the tank.
BTW i just went out this am and opened the gas cap... Swish.. then tried to start.. started on fist try and is running perty darn good. crazy ...

Patrick Morrissey (Go Irish)
Started on family owned Cushman Scooter
First Bike was a 1967 Riverside 125cc
Dad\'s 78 GW ashes.
Bringing another 1100 back to life, rising from the ashes of my 1000... Thanks to this forum!
"Enjoy the Ride"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page