Mounting 1800 tire - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hi

I need to mount a new tire, I have mounted many tires in the past just kneeling on them and get handy with two screwdrivers. They were nowhere near the size of this, with the width and low profile side wall i'm almost certain my way wont work. My plan is to bolt the wheel down to the work bench and muscle it on with soap and two pry bars. The bad tire is off just waiting for new one in the mail.Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks Tom

P.S. I am not going to bring it to a shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:05 PM

Post imported post

thessler wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I need to mount a new tire, I have mounted many tires in the past just kneeling on them and get handy with two screwdrivers. They were nowhere near the size of this, with the width and low profile side wall i'm almost certain my way wont work. My plan is to bolt the wheel down to the work bench and muscle it on with soap and two pry bars. The bad tire is off just waiting for new one in the mail.¬*Any thoughts welcome.

¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬* Thanks¬*¬*¬* Tom

P.S.¬* I am not going to bring it to a shop.
For $20 I would have the shop fit it.
Yes you can "muscle" it on, may wreck/scratch the rim in the process. Now if you have a tyre changer, then thats different.

Globetrotter
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:09 PM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

you just bought a new 1800 for 20k+ and dont wanna spend 20 on a tire change xD funny there are lots of videos on youtube for big tires you may want to check them up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Post imported post

Well if you are really determined not to take it to the shop , and do not have a tire changer.

You can break the bead with two sections of old 2 by 4, use one as a lever and a shorter section as a ram and wedge the lever under the back bumper of a pickup or something and push the ram down, that will break the bead.

I use spoon bars from Harbor Freight myself to mount a tire with. You can get them for like 9 dollars each and you need three of them. Then you would have them next time.

I have also learned a good set of gloves are good, cuts down on skinned fingers and a tire tool thrown across the garage. Lots of soap and it will slip off and on easy.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the replys. I really don't care about the $20, I just like to do the work myself when ever possible.

Tom
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...ing&emb=0#

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09776315225781

And a few more on this site. That rear is FUN!!!!. Front's pretty easy. Mine are harder yet with Smart Tire. I hope you have rim protectors, altho I've been known to use doubled up sections of a plastic jug before. I have the Mo-jo bar, and rim protectors, a H.F. changer, and 3 pro-spoons, and it's still not fun. I also use the NAPA rubber lube. (Ru-glyde?), but i think Dawn is about as good, and cheaper.

Some small chunks of wood are in order for the rear, especially. You'll see the need as you do the job. I'll try to find Fred Harmon's video of the way he utilizes the blocks.

Have a ball.

BOB

Knicknacks by Eric of Holland (former LTD rider)

80 Int., 85 Int., 85 LTD, 90/2000 1500, and now a 2006 Nav, Cabernet Red
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon On the middle of left column.

I don't know if I particularly like the use of silicone spray. That stuff stays slick for a long time, and it would seem like the tire would spin on the rim, in the first hard burn-out, or very hard braking action. A day later, it may not make any difference. Would be bad to get it balanced, and have it spin on rim, hence ruining the balance job.

BOB

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks Oregon good info. Tom
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Senior Guru

Garage
Post imported post

BOB

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Ignoramus Primus

Model: GL1500 SE
Garage
Post imported post

thessler wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replys. I really don't care about the $20, I just like to do the work myself when ever possible.

Tom
Tom, you are like many of us who would rather do it ourselves. Why spend money to have some slacker dropout do a poor job? I can do a poor job all by myself!

Seriously, the Harbor Freight tire changer (w/motorcycle attachment) is a good investment for us DIY types.

Later,
Nick B.
\'86 GL1200 Interstate (sold but fondly remembered)
\'95 GL1500 SE Pearl White Anniversary Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page