gl1200 clutch repair - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Looking for a way around a part no longer manufactured by Honda. It is the dampner or spring plate on the clutch, plate B. Does anyone know if this can be repaired or if there is something I can do to substitute for this plate?

I do know that plate B is the same thickness as the two of the other metal plates with thin peices of metal (like on a feeler gauge) thick. They are braded together so both plates would have to spin together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Post imported post

you are talking about the metal plate? often, folks just reuse it
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

This metal plate is a special plate, called a damper or spring plate. It is "plate b" There is only one of the these. The other metal plates are plate "A" There 7 of those. Plate "B" is made of two plates with a thin metal spring (thin feeler gauge metal) braded between the two plates. Mine is broken. The brads came apart, so it is unusable and I haven't anybody who makes the part (honda or otherwise.) Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:58 PM

Post imported post

you could alwys try fleabay.... maybe david silver spares in the UK might have it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

Check out this thread on the subject:

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/54119.html

I am going to repost my previous reply here for convenience. Good luck. If you end up doing this, please let us know how it works, because I am sure there will be many more people in the same situation.

I had the same problem 2 years ago when I did my 1200. I looked all over and I couldn't find one. I started looking before I actually did my clutch and was warned ahead of time that the part was discontinued. I struck out completely.

I was fortunate, when I finally took mine apart, the dampener plate was still usable, so I put it back in.

This is a suggestion that was give to me. I didn't need to do it, as you can see above, so I can't verify what the results would actually be, but I was prepared to try.

The suggestion was this: Get an extra steel plate and an extrafriction plate and place them together, they are about the same thickness of the dampener plate. You will need this thickness so that the spring can apply the appropriate pressure. Insert these extra two disks in the middle. My mechaniccomparedtwo plates side by sidewith a dampener plate on another bike, and they were very close tothe same thickness. This will cause you tohave two friction plates against each other, but it should be ok because the teeth won't allow them to slide against each other, so they will act as one. (at least in theory)

Now the theory is that without the dampener plate it will be harder to work the clutch, it will be much more sensitive so you will have to be much more gentle. The friction zone will be reduced.

I haven't talked to anyone that has actually done this, so this is experimental. But as I said, I was prepared to try it. I figured if I ended up needing a new dampener plate there wasn't any other option short of selling the bike for parts.

If you strike out finding a replacement part this might be an option worth trying.

Good luck.

Jim

Beware, I'm a known thread hijacker.

'96 GL1500 SE
Honda Riders of Tidewater -- Former Chapter President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal webpage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Desert Storm Veteran USS Pensacola (LSD-38)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page