Do you have a "Poping" or small "Backfire" in one of your tailpipes? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Nightrider1 Send a message via Yahoo to Nightrider1
Post imported post

Read what I done to my cooling system. Apparently one of my water vents goint to one of my cylinders was not getting a good antifreeze flow, heating up more than the other 3. I caught mine before there was any severe damage. Read what I did below.

11/23/08

UPDATED:

Heres what I done so far.1. I purchased 3 Gallons of distilled water, Prestone 50/50 Extended Life (No Silicates) antifreeze, and1 Quart of Peak super Cleaner and Radiator Flush. 1. Idrained the old out (Dex Cool), 2. run 3.6 qts of distilled water through it. Cooled, 3. Run the cleaner + 3qts of distilled water through it, (For 15 minutes)drained, cooled, 4. run 3.5 qts distilled water through it, cooled, drained, 5. left out drain plug, and run 1/2 gallon distilled water through it for 10-15 seconds immeadiatly after starting. 6. Now, I am about to put in the Prestone 50/50 extended life antifreeze coolant after it cools.

You would not believe what come out of that system. I hardly could. You can see the water pump throwing the water fast, and after the fan comes on, I burped it 2-3 times. So far, I have been on this thing since 9:30am. I hope it does ok. really colled the water off fast when the fan and thermostat opened though, around 60% -70% of the big white line. I added the cooland slowly, to minimise any blowout before the thermostat opens. Enough to fill it, but not under do it. Now it sets slightly BELOW th e big line! I finally finished around 1:25pm. Nearly 4 hours to do it right.

UPDATE #2

My radiatior was begiinning to turn orange on the walls from the DEX Cool 50/50, and I only had it in 2 weeks before NASSIR1, (A total of 9 weeks, no leaks, usage, etc) and I am lucky I found the article when I did. By the time I was done, I had a "Normal" loooking radiator, with better antifreeze circultion. I could actualle see the water pump pushing the water throiugh when the thermostat opened, and I seen it before, but never this strong. I would recommend thos to anyonewho has an early Wing to do the same, reguardlesss of what coolant you are using. You will notice a BIG difference. I definately had some pre-ignition in one of my cylingers, causing a small "pop" or a small "backfire" in one of my cylinders. This cleared it up!!!

Thanks Everyone Bike seems to be doing great so far! Sounds FANTASTIC! Compression 160 x 4!!!, on a 1980 GL100 Standard at that!!! I just cannot get over how good it sounds. I am keeping an eye out on my oil, to make positively sure that I haveany blown head gasket(s) also, but with 4 even cylinders of 160 comoression, I seriously doubt it.

Good Luck to You!

Nightrider1

You meet the best people who ride a Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:45 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Post imported post

Good job on the flushing/cleaning David . Nice write up .

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page