Not your average starting trouble - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I searched for quite a while and read as many starting trouble post I could stand. I hope I can run this scenario by you. I just picked this bike up, and tried a few things to get the starter to turn the motor over. It starts to turn the motor over with a surge, but then stops.With the plugs out it turn about 600rpm. I tried all kinds of batteries in full charge. Old starter was bench tested o.k. but still replaced with New (not rebuilt). I am getting miniscule voltage drop through the relay at 12.5v 700cca (-.5 v) even tried jumping the starter directly to battery terminals (thus eliminating the relay all together). I replaced the oil w/ thinner 5w30 in hopes it was too thick or cold. I cleaned grounds, checked cables, bypassed the "dogbone" fuse link etc. Engine turns free and fast when the plugs are removed, in fact it is anytime i have more than 2 plugs in when it stops. Compression too high? (It will blow my hat off looking down at it) Thoughts about hydraulic lock? any ideas? Thank you for your time and great Forum!

Helicopters beat the air into submission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

This has come up before. What happened on another 1100 was one of the cams was 180 degrees out of time so 2 cylinders were on compression stroke at the same time so the starter just couldn't turn it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I guess this could be good new... I might have new timing belts! Ill check that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:07 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

It would be easy to check if you can put a finger over both front or both rear plug holes and push the start button with your nose and see if both cylinders compress at the same time.
A little dry humor there.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

Welcome!!!! (and Ditto Dave...)

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks fellas. The missing bolt in the timing belt cover was a clue that it had been "adjusted". Both marks on the pullies are in the same up position in regards to the internal timing mark. Now do I tell the guy I got it from that or not..... nah

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I've had similar problems with an 1100. That had been left sitting for a couple of years. The cause of the problem was a very thin coating of corrosion on the cylinder walls that increased the drag on the pistons when cranking the engine. These starters are just barely powerful enough when things are correct, a little corrosion in the jug and they just can't cut it. Mine would crank just fine with the plugs out like yours. Getting the engine running a couple times for a few minutes pretty well cleaned cylinder walls and the starting problem cured itself. Compression after running the engine was 170+ psi and all four cylinders within 4psi.

Just to make sure everything is copacetic check the voltage at your starter while cranking the engine with the plugs in. Should be 10V or very close. Also try cranking the engine with the kill switch off, that will provide just a bit more voltage at the starter. I'd also recommend a look at the cam timing. With the engine hand turned to the T1 index , look in the hole on the left rear top of the engine. There's a one and a half inch wide cover that unscrews to see the timing marks. Wit the crank set at T1 the two cam pulleys should have the UP marks right side up and the index marks in line with the case marks at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions. If the UP marks are upside down turn the engine over one more turn leaving the index on the T1 mark.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

busmoss wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fellas. The missing bolt in the timing belt cover was a clue that it had been "adjusted". Both marks on the pullies are in the same up position in regards to the internal timing mark. Now do I tell the guy I got it from that or not..... nah
I am assuming that you are saying both pulley timing marks are up.. That would mean that when one is on its mark (left or right) the other is not... so Dave was correct?..

Edit: the marks are okay... so timing is correct (see posts below)

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

After getting a better look. At T1 position, both cam sprockets are "Up" and timing marks do allighn 3:00 on the shift side and 9:00 on the brake side.. From what I have gathered that is what it should be. Voltage at the starter it 10.3 volts with the plugs out cranking, but much less with the plugs in (like 4 due to the starter stalling). Ignition off gives it more cranking pep, but not enough with the plugs in. Thank all of you for your inputs and time.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

P.S. the only light visable while cranking is neutral light, but I dont know what else to do when I have connected a jumper cable from a car battery straight to the starter.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page