Hydraulic lifters - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I am rebuilding an '85 GL1200I. Everything needed is on hand. Have had valves lapped am getting ready to start the next phase. Re-assembly.

According to the shop manual I need to adjust the shims on the hydraulic lifters. I've got posts out on the net searching for a shim selector gauge 07974-MG90000. If you know where I can get one please reply.

Next ... I understand the method for bleeding the lifters with kerosene but what I don't get is how to get these items back into the camshaft holder without loosing the fluid in the lifter. Exhaust lifters face one direction while intake lifters face the opposite direction so either way placing the lifter back into its holder is going to present a problem in maintaining the fluid in the lifter. Is there some trick to this operation ? Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Biker_Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
Post imported post

When you do get the bleeding tool... you submerge the tool and the HVA into the kerosene. With the tool upside down, the HVA inserted into the tool with the ball end facing up. Pump the HVA into the tool so that the bubbles inside the HVA escape to the top of the HVA. While submerged allow the tool to lift inself off the HVA then remove the tool from the HVA. When you remove the tool it closes off the check ball inside the HVA so no fluid will escape.
You can then position the HVA back into the head with the proper shims.

Both tools are available from a Honda dealer. If you have a good working relationship with the service department maybe you can 'borrow' the tools. Be prepared to offer a 'very sizable' deposit so they (the service manager or service adviser) will know that you will bring them back. In my estimation... a $100 deposit is a very good sign you'll return the tools.

Ray
88 GL1500
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page