Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing out GL1500 low fuel level sensor- removing fuel pump

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Graham B 
#1 ·
imported post

Last year, I discovered my low fuel sensor is/was not functioning. Yes, the low fuel level warning light appeared when you turned the ignition on, but failed to light when the tank was near empty. I verified this by carrying a Jerry can with me and ran it until the bike ran out of gas. No warning light came on.

So I ordered a new sensor(part # 37810-MN5-008 $35.77 @ Cheap Cycle Parts) and plan to install it, once the weather warms up !! I know I have to drain/burn up enough gas in the tank to get it below the half, or it will leak out once I loosen the fuel pump assembly.

The question I have is will I need to install a new fuel pump assemblygasket(seats the fuel pump assembly on top of the fuel tank), or if the old one is in good shape, can I reuse it? :?

#3 ·
imported post

No Mike, just the parts # above, labelled on the "Genuine Honda Parts" bag.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully I won't be slowed down and need to order a new gasket.

Cheers, Ken

#4 ·
imported post

My experience with gaskets of any kind is that I like to have a new one on hand, especially if it has to be ordered.

I hate not to reuse, but if any little bits of it end up stuck to the metal I usually bite the bullet and use new.

My son, an auto mechanic, just laughs at me and says use a little grey silicone, but I'd be leary of that around gas.

#5 ·
imported post

Just thought I should have updated this one

It was an easy fix, taking all of 30 minutes out the doorand yes, I was able to reuse the main fuel pump gasket.

The low fuel level light now comes on when I have used approximately 5.3gal(US) of fuel.

Dusty

#6 ·
imported post

That's great news all is back in order. Mine I don't think works sometimes, then the nest time it does?? I watch the mileage closer then the gas gauge. I may just have to fix it this winter.

#7 ·
imported post

mwhit1500 wrote:
That's great news all is back in order. Mine I don't think works sometimes, then the nest time it does?? I watch the mileage closer then the gas gauge. I may just have to fix it this winter.
That's common. On a bumpy or twisty road, or even stop and go traffic, the gas is sloshing around and feigning a higher level. On a smooth, straight road the fuel level drops below the indicator sensor and stays down.

#8 ·
imported post

I've obtained a second hand sensor to replace my faulty one. The job will be done along with a few other things after Christmas (New brake lines all round for starters).

Then I am planning to take the bad one apart and see if I can source the dodgy part with a view to coming up with a cheaper repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.