Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AGM battery who's is best.

11K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  DBohrer 
#1 ·
imported post

Looking to replace my battery in my 1100 Thinking of using a AGM battery. checking who's is best and where to buy.

#2 ·
imported post

Can't tell you which is best but I've had an Odyssey in my 1500 for two and a half years now that's still performing as good as new. I ordered mine online. Below is a link for the Odyssey, the 1000, 1100, 1200 and 1500 can use the PC680. The battery is about 3/4" thinner than the OEM battery but has more cranking power. I slipped a piece of 3/4" pine behind my battery to make it fit the battery box nicely.

http://www.tnrbatteries.com/odba.html

#3 ·
imported post

I Got
a new DEKA battery About 9 months ago , best I have had so far,,,,( last year I bought 3 batts),,,,,I do not have a garage,,, and my bike stays outside all year long<<< no babying this bike!! Its a real bitch!!!

#7 ·
imported post

I bought my AGM battery from Advance Auto parts for about $80.00. Their battery is highly rated. 1 year complete replacement. I could not justify the price for an Odyssey. The battery fits perfect in my GL. No issues. Very strong starting power.

Extreme Magna Power ETX18L

#8 ·
imported post

Big E wrote:
The pc680 has
  • 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
MADE BY WHO??? oddysey ,,, oddity ,,,,od'd:bat:

#9 ·
imported post

Hell' I just push mine off most of the time any way,,,,unless I need some help!!!
I am useing the ,,,,,, glasmat bat. still have to need a push everynow and then,,,,.!!! still the best i have had... I think I'll get some of those cable upgrades.....::walker::11black:

#10 ·
imported post

I think the battery in my Harley is a glass mat type. I use a battery tender on it every time its in the garage. The bike is a '03 and the battery is the original.,,

#11 ·
imported post

AGM batteries have a very low self-discharge rate about 1% to 3% per month. Therefore they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging. Some AGM can be almost fully recharged after being discharged to 95% after 30 days of being totally discharged. GEL and Acid batteries can't come close to that feat.

#12 ·
imported post

All of the MagnaPower batteries are made by EPM (East Penn MFG) which also makes the new Deka AGM. East Penn has been making batteries for 30 years, but just recently introduced the AGM under the name "Deka". Made in the USA.

The Deka AGM battery maybe available at Batterymart.com. The price is 49.95 for the (ETX15)GL1500 and 63.95 for the (ETX18) GL1100 and GL1800.

#14 ·
imported post

Big E wrote:
The pc680 has
  • 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
That is NOT CCA .... it is PHCA BIG difference.... The 360 mentioned before was CCA.

The CCA for the Odysey pc680 is ONLY 220. One other important consideration to consideris the Ampere hour rating.The Odyssey is 17 and many otherbrandsrange from 20 to 22.

There are many websites where you can learn the difference... Short and sweet .... CCA is @ -18C and PHCA is a pulse @ 27C.

In any event to make a comparison you need to compare the batteries by the same method be it CCA, CA, HCA, or PHCA. Don't be fooled by values expressed in different scales, you can't compare them straight across.

#15 ·
imported post

You can have the biggest baddest battery in the world. Heck, hook up the trailer, put an 8D battery in it with over a 1000 cold cranking amps. The bottom line is you will only get as much amps thru the bike as the wiring can safely handle.(unless there is a short) :D I put in an Odyssey along with an upgrade on the battery cable sizing. Cranks like no tomorrow.:weightlifter:

#16 ·
imported post

I had an Odyssey for 5 seasons. I never used a tender and it went flat in the winter several times. Always came back after charging. A little pricey, but the best in my opinion. I will NEVER use a conventional wet battery again.

John

#17 ·
imported post

I use Yuasa sealed batteries for five years and then change due to length of time in service. If I rode local always I would leave one in to see how long it would last. If I could find one any better than that I would buy it.

#18 ·
imported post

I bought my AGM at Advance Auto for $83.00. Don't remember the brand name. Anyway, it's still the Wing in the cold garage and I start it once in a while. Spins like no tomorrow. Worth every cent. I'll never buy lead/acid again.

#21 ·
#22 ·
I can tell by the picture that is the ETX18L Deka battery. They are available from Battery Mart for 92.95 on-line. I have been using the Deka battery in my GL1500 since 2006. The East-Penn Deka battery is marketed through several different battery stores with different label names. Example: Battery Mart calls them "Big Crank". There are only two Battery Mart stores, Winchester, VA and Martinsburg, WV and they sell on-line with FREE shipping. I pick mine up in person at the store in Martinsburg, WV, just picked up an ETX18L for my friend last month for 80.00. Yes that's right 80.00 (in store price). As you have probably noticed, shipping is included in the price of 92.95........!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.