Front end harshness/rattle - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Anybody experiencing harshness in the front forks and lots of plastic sounding rattles on choppy bump and small potholes? Bike has 15,000 miles, seems to be getting worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Got Bridgestones on it?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Post imported post

Let me try to say this carefully and not give a wrong impression. I love the 1800 but one of my complaints with it is the harsh front suspension. You will always on rough roads have a bit of road feel into the handlebars. This is just a characteristic of the design.

Two other things if the ride has became excessively rough can be at fault.

One is the radial tires are very hard, I call them cement radials. Radial tires are simply hard and do not have the compression that bias ply tires have, so as a tire wears it gets a bit rougher in ride. A new tire will be quite more smooth for about 8000 miles , then it starts all over again.

The other is the anti-dive on the left fork can get to sticking or acting in an erratic manner but sticking and then working . It can get to the point it vibrates the front so hard it busts the filaments in the headlight bulbs. You can determine that by going down a known rough road about 35 mph and peering down the tunnel to the front forks. (do not run off the road and kill yourself) if you see the top of the fork action moving up and down a half to 3/4 of an inch it is working, if it is not moving then the thing is sticking, and needs to be serviced. Some even over-ride it or deactivate it , but this is a very bad practice and a great safety issue if you ever need to have full use of the front brake in an emergency stop.

Hope this helps.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Year: 2009 /1978
Model: GL1800 Airbag / GL1000
Garage
Post imported post

Sound to me like an anti-dive problem. This link may help Fred Harmon antidive

Jeff

2009 Yellow Airbag
Bushtec Quantum Sport
1978 GL1000 Naked
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

No, I had a rear tire failure(Dunlop 250s)at 7,500 miles, had to replace both tires with Dunlop D 3's. Dont particularly like them. They don't ride as smooth as the OEM tires, and will replace with something else when the time comes. Had Metzelers on my 1500 and loved them. Seems like all the 1800 guys mention the Bridgestones.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Post imported post

Try to check your fender, most probably you had a crack front rear piece fender .
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Model: GL1500 1990
Post imported post

aht_six wrote:
Quote:
Sound to me like an anti-dive problem. This link may help Fred Harmon antidive
This is a common problem with the GL1800's especially if there is Progressive springs installed.

Progressive recommends the A.D.V. be disabled..

Life is too short to have that big of a cow over the little things in life...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Post imported post

I have a 2008 1800 with 1400 miles. The anti dive has already been replaced, but itbottoms out andhas a lot of spring to it. Itfeels like it doesn't have enough fork oil.Several dealers say it is normal for the bike to ride rough. Any help anyone can provide is appreciated. I am very disappointed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 AM

Post imported post

I had read in a forum some were about the sound of rattleing plastic on the 1800.
I experienced the sound as soon as i set off from the dealers when new, it's not exsesive though,and the ride from the front end is a little harsh,but i am used to it now.
There is that much plastic on the front end around the dash area that ure going to get a small amount of plastic vibration,that to i have got used to,and it sure ai'nt a problem.
GL 1800s are fantastic.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Post imported post

I love most everything about my wing. But from the day I got it the front suspension has been harsh. Maybe it's the anti-dive, maybe it's just not the best engineered component on the bike. Either way, I will be changing it around at some point soon. I doubt I will pop for the $2000 plus traxxion solution, but some combination of new springs and modified or disabled anti-dive seems inevitable.

I commute into Washington DC and the road surface is awful. The banging of the front end is no fun.

A lot of people say that disabling anti dive is a bad idea, but I can't believe these same people can argue that the front end is as good as many other bikes, Because it is not.

Why should I have to "get used" to such a crummy front suspension? Sadly, I have gotten used it somewhat over the past year or so, but seriously, why should we riders have to just leave it the way it is?

"SLOWDOG"
07 Goldwing - Comfort/Navi/ABS
Traxxion Max Monty w/ Billet Aluminum Triple Clamps
Dark Blue Metallic
"I Fear the Deer"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page