Tire bead won't stay seated - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1000, GL1200
Post imported post

I mounted new tires, Bridgestone Spitfires, on a CX500. Front tire is the same as on my '76 wing. The bead had some indentations from the plastic straps used to hold the tires together for shipping. I had a lot of trouble getting the tire to take air to seat the bead because it was leaking out where the dents in the tire were. I ended up heating up the tire and rim and finally got it to seal up and take air. I used Armor All as a lubricant to get the tire on. The bead popped on, but it didn't make the loud pops like the rear tire did. The little guide lines close to the rim are all even, so it seems like the tire was on the rim completely. But when the pressure dropped as I was putting the core back in the stem, the bead came away from the rim. Is this OK? It seems odd to me.

Thanks

No matter what,
If it's your wife,
She Ain't Crazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Model: 1999 1500SE Motortrike
Post imported post

I don't think ArmorAll was a good choice. I'd clean it off good wth denatured alcohol, and use liquid soap and water as a lubricant.Air it up again, and leave it for a day or so, to give the tire a chance to stretch and set its shape.jimsjinx

"We are put here, to take care of each other"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 PM

Post imported post

Ive heard many different ideas on mountingg. Some say armor all or any protective is better for the rim than soapy water which could slowly oxidize the aluminum surface.
maqin thing is to air it up to max pressur eand let it sit for a few days. it should true it self out.

i see you are in nebraska. A good idea s bringing it indoors and let it sit in a temp above freezing.

I have returned to the wonderful saunders forum after a 2 year hiatus. I realilzed the grass can never be greener.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Post imported post

Armor All is not a good thing for tires.

Coming back today from our ride a real nice Ford 350 pulled up beside me, this guy takes care of his truck, it is clean, shined and spotless. Thing is I noticed the tires were all checked on the sides almost like weather checks, but in a more irregular pattern.
I have seen this previously on tires where people use armor all on the tires to shine the tire and blacken it. Somehow it reacts with something, maybe the additives put in the tire to combat UV ? Have no idea but know it does effect the tire compound.

However it is not uncommon on the smaller bikes for the tires to not want to set to the rim without pressure, I have even had to put a tie down strap around them and ratchet it down to expand the tire against the rim enough to get it to seat , just to get air in them.

You might double check the tire size, could be one size narrow, that sometimes causes that too.

I have no idea why they ship tires like that with the straps cutting into the leading edge of the bead. Most of the time though it is only on the very leading edge and does not cross the main bead.

Kit

The 1800 is my bike. The very best motorcycle ever made. I was enthralled with my first test ride on this machine. It is a great bike. A crotch rocket with storage bags.............As for oil I use the slick kind, and I like round tires, but as of late I have found square ones work best on the rear. Pirelli Eufori 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI
Kit
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 AM

Model: GL1500SE
Post imported post

I used to sell tires for a living. Armor All dries out the tires prematurely, it draws the natural oils out of the rubber compounds and after a while you start seeing the cracking that looks like dry rotting. You could see it, a few days after the Armor All was applied, you could see a brown residue on the tires. It was like it was leaching something out of the rubber.

I don't think a one-time use will do any damage to worry about, but just the same if you can clean it off, you would probably rest easier.

Silicone products seem to do well on tires without doing any damage. Just don't get any on the tread.

Jim

Beware, I'm a known thread hijacker.

'96 GL1500 SE
Honda Riders of Tidewater -- Former Chapter President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal webpage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Desert Storm Veteran USS Pensacola (LSD-38)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Post imported post

I don't want to offend anyone but are you sure it's not a tube-type tire? Putting a tube type tire on a tube less can give you some trouble. Should see it on the side wall if it is tube or tube-less.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1000, GL1200
Post imported post

A long time ago I put a protectant on old tires on my cb450. It was like you could watch the splits in the sidewalls open up. Ever since then I have not used it on tires. I did read on Randakks site that protectant was a good choice for installing tires, however.

I'll check to see if it's tubeless tire, but I would be surprised if it is not.

I guess my biggest question is if this is a safety issue, or if the fact that the bead is seated under pressure if that is all that matters. I'll probably deflate it in a couple of weeks to see what it's like after being aired up for a while.

No matter what,
If it's your wife,
She Ain't Crazy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:32 PM

Post imported post

As wolfman said, silicone is good for mounting and seating tires. I have used silicone spray as the only way to get small trailer tires sealed enough to take air.

If you\'re lucky enough to be in the mountains, you\'re lucky enough.

Charlie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Post imported post

Are you sure that the rims are tubeless type rims. Not all Honda Comstar rims are tubeless. As an example the ones on my 78 Goldwing are not, but the ones on mt 82 CX500TC are. I don't know what year in-between those two Honda changed to tubeless.

Walter
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page