Difference between Hypoid and Full Synthetic Gear Oil - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Post imported post

Okay Lloyd, thanks for the info. Safe riding to you.

Mark
Wineberry 1983 Interstate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Post imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't look right. Almost like it's got water in it. With the weight advertised, it should be thicker. Your Amsoil might of not liked the change.I wonder how it was still foamy coming out of the differential after sitting for a while.

I use synthetic 80-90w and it takes a while to drain.

Anyway, I'm not buying any of that stuff. Somethings not copacetic.

Hobie
By the way...sitting did not help...have photos of that to...it took...get this...this is nuts. It took almost a FULL hour of sitting for the foam to go down...! I have photos of it every 5 minutes...and its a huge foaming mess for 15 minutes...only after 15 minutes has about 50% of the foam gone down....it took near a hour for it to return to a more normal looking state. It might work will in other types of gear boxes...but as far as the GL1800 goes....pennzoil was a huge failure.

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

I wonder if it isn't just because the Pennzoil and Amsoil aren't compatible? Gear oil is gear oil, at least the non-synthetics are for the most part, well loaded with sulphur which can't be used in engine oil anymore due to EPA regs. But synthetics are a different animal and might have compatibility problems with other types.

I prefer regular old dino 80/90 SAE stuff in my truck, cars and bikes. It's worked well for a lot of years for me and I've never had a problem with differentials or final drives. My old '93 1500 ran for 170,000 miles with the stuff and is still running in good shape for it's new owner. Both final drive and the engine used dino oil for their whole lives with no serious wear.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 AM

Post imported post

I have run Penzoil's dino and synthetic gear oil in my 50,0001 mile 1200A.

I did not change the oil for the first 15-20 thousand miles, and the rear end went out. After, that, I have every 2-4k.

I usually swap the oil after a ride, when it is still warm, and have never seen even a bubble. It always looks just like it did when I put it in.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Post imported post

Midnight Express wrote:
Quote:
I have run Penzoil's dino and synthetic gear oil in my 50,0001 mile 1200A.

I did not change the oil for the first 15-20 thousand miles, and the rear end went out. After, that, I have every 2-4k.

I usually swap the oil after a ride, when it is still warm, and have never seen even a bubble. It always looks just like it did when I put it in.

You know what the funny part is...I have some Pennzoil not there fully synth stuff....but I have or should I say had the DINO version. And it did NOT foam. Only the fully synth one foams like crazy for me at least. Maybe its a bad batch, hell if I know all I do know its that it foam like crazy and looks like soap suds, and lots of it!

So I posted that as a warning for all to be very carefull with that stuff as it "might" lead to a drive unit failure as a result of the oil turning to mess of foam.

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Post imported post

Lloyd,

Ya, that is some serious foam. I think it is like exavid stated, probably does not mix well with Amsoil. I think I put the synthetic in a gearbox in my combine, so now you have me curious. I think I will check it when I get it out this fall running corn, Lord Willing.

By the way, my wife and I also have a 2010 Red Metallic base model 1800. What a machine. We have about 14,000 miles on it. I have changed to rear oil in it 4 times, and have been using Honda's hypoid. Anyways...

Thanks for the warning.

ME
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Post imported post

The thing is I am NOT mixing it with the amsoil gear lube at all....! I drain the amsoil, and then put the drain plug back in and fill it with the PENZ and just run the bike on the centre stand in 5th gear for a few minutes to flush out gear case from any loose gear wear metals and such that is / or might be still in there. Then I drain it and let it drip out till it dry as dry can be. Then I put fresh Amsoil gear lube in.

So if there is ANY amsoil still in there...in just so very little that it should be nothing worth talking about. So I really have no clue as to why this stuff foams so bad, only that it does foam and not a little...!!!

Since the bike is still new there will be stuff coming off the gear for some time till they get fully lapped in to each other, and it is this stuff that I want to get out of there during this break in time. Once the GW hit say about the 30,000 to so mark, then I will do it as a once yearly thing.

And let me tell you for the first 10,000 or so I put in it, there was a lot of stuff coming off the gears and so on as they did the great bulk of the break in. As I said maybe this PENZ stuff if ok for other types of gear boxes and might not foam in there, but when it comes to the GL1800's gear box, it crazy how it foams. Maybe having hypoid gears have something to do with it...I really do not know. I can tell you this much there is nothing that is harder of lube oils then hypoid gears as it has a sliding movement to them...just the way the gear mesh with each other...

Amsoil gear lube does not foam....no other gear lube I have ever used has ever come anywhere near or even remotely near faoming like this PENZ fully synth does. Maybe its a bad batch....hell if I know...but I am not going to ever chance a set of gears on finding out...they just cost way to much to play that game.

Oh....and don't forget to clean your drain plug off real good. It is a magnetic drain plug after all...!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DP1.JPG (85.3 KB, 160 views)
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Post imported post

Midnight Express wrote:
Quote:
Lloyd,

Ya, that is some serious foam. I think it is like exavid stated, probably does not mix well with Amsoil. I think I put the synthetic in a gearbox in my combine, so now you have me curious. I think I will check it when I get it out this fall running corn, Lord Willing.

By the way, my wife and I also have a 2010 Red Metallic base model 1800. What a machine. We have about 14,000 miles on it. I have changed to rear oil in it 4 times, and have been using Honda's hypoid. Anyways...

Thanks for the warning.

ME
You might want to give Amsoil a try one day. I got turned onto it because it was the only company I ever found that not just gives spec on there oils, but also tests them and gives YOU the customer the results of how it did. That somehow spoke volumes to me. Real life tests results and not just talk on how " so and so " has there whiz bang 2000 super duper...flash in the pan oil that will do this...that...and the other thing....and has NO proof to show that it does any of what they claim. So that how I became a Amsoil oil fan in part.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg amsoil.JPG (97.1 KB, 159 views)
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
Post imported post

I have been very happy with the Valvoline synthetic. About 10 clams a quart and I change it annualy so it lasts about 5 years. I will say I have used Amsoil products before and they are great.

I would not use any Penzoil product except in desperation, and even then it would be drained ASAP.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Model: GL1100A
Post imported post

I use the Amsoil in my M109R's rear, and replace it every time I do an oil change. I plan to change the gear oil in my Aspencade at my next oil change and begin the same thing - Amsoil and changing the oil in the rear at every oil change. My M109R uses just under a pint. I don't imagine that the various GoldWings use a lot more...

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

1972 CZ175 (sold)
1979 DT175 (sold)
1979 CR125R (sold)
1976 XT500 (sold)
1984 CM400 (sold)
1984 KZ550 Shaft (sold)
2008 M109R
1982 GL1100 Aspencade
1999 VMax
2004 FJR1300A (for sale)
2016 FJR1300ES
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page