Difference between Hypoid and Full Synthetic Gear Oil - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Post imported post

Use any regular GL-5 rated gear oil available at the local auto store for a few dollars, with no shipping charges and don't look back. Use the money you save to buy more goodies or gas.

Bikes Ive owned, \'69 Norton,\'48 Harley panhead, \'71 Bsa, \'76 gl1000,\'93 Harley ultra,\'03 Harley ultra,\'05 Sportster, \'82 GW 1100.\'96 Police road king very used. "I tried thinking once, but nothing happened" .,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Garage
Post imported post

If I ever saw something like that come out of my rear gear case i'd chuck that jug of oil far as I could, Why would you be putting that stuff in you rear? Makes no sence even for a flush
Wilf

79 gl1000 dresser
80 gl1100I now naked
90 1500 full dress
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Post imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_oil

"Most lubricants for manual gearboxes and differentials are hypoid gear oils. These contain extreme pressure (EP) additives and antiwear additives to cope with the sliding action of hypoid bevel gears."

My name is Rusty. I'm an enthusiast of things that ride, drive and fly.

IBA: 63413
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Post imported post

wilf wrote:
Quote:
If I ever saw something like that come out of my rear gear case i'd chuck that jug of oil far as I could, Why would you be putting that stuff in you rear? Makes no sence even for a flush
Wilf
Because I have some left...and I do not ride with it in...just run it on the centre stand for a minute or two then I dump it. As a flushing oil...its good enough for that...but thats all its good for. And thats all I use it for as I do not trust it for anything other then that. Once its gone, its gone.

post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh - THAT guy...

Year: 2000
Make: 1500
Model: SE
Post imported post

'Wings use very little; something like 5 ounces.

Vote one for year-round riding! Austone Darksider PVT (Passenger Vehicle Tire)

Most recent Wing: 128k+ on the 2000 GL1500 SE (Just totaled) due to being rear-ended...
Current ride (for now) 2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Previous wings: '78GL1000, 13k mile '77 GL1000 (resto at home, neat story!), '81 GL1100 Interstate.
Previous non-wings: CB360T, Suzuki GS550L, Yamaha 650 spcl (first bike!), Silverwing 500, Yamaha Spectre 1100, VFR700F, CB900 Custom.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Garage
Post imported post

Yea looks to be overfilled causing foamming.
Wilf

79 gl1000 dresser
80 gl1100I now naked
90 1500 full dress
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Post imported post

Now here is some FUN reading.....NOT...! I went to the pennzoil site to get some email address as I would like to send them the photos I have and ask them....so what is going on here. And then look what I found, so I copy and paste it here for you to read. Now this company really stands behind there products.....( in a pigs eye they do ).

Covering vehicle engine parts for do-it-yourself and installed customers by SOPUS Products.
SOPUS Products warrants you, the vehicle owner or lessee whose name appears on the front of this Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty document (“you”), that it will repair or replace, at its option and at its expense, the engine parts listed below, that fail on account of engine wear or which experience abnormal wear, because Pennzoil[suP]®[/suP] motor oil failed to provide proper lubrication. The Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty includes all the terms listed below. This Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty is free. No one may charge you a fee for it, or change it, or make any exceptions to its terms. This Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty is available on Pennzoil[suP]®[/suP] motor oil to customers who change their own oil or have their oil changed by an installer, automotive center, commercial fast oil change facility, gasoline service station, or auto dealer and who use Pennzoil[suP]®[/suP] motor oil.

THIS PENNZOIL LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, AND THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS AND NONE SHALL BE IMPLIED. ALL WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED TO THE TERMS AND DURATION OF THIS EXPRESS WARRANTY. SOPUS PRODUCTS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OR FAILURE OF THIS PRODUCT, HOWEVER CAUSED. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED LIMITED WARRANTY LASTS,OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS PENNZOIL LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS, WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. THIS PENNZOIL LUBRICATION LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S LIMITED WARRANTY.

post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Post imported post

wilf wrote:
Quote:
Yea looks to be overfilled causing foamming.
Wilf
Good lord...it was not OVER filled or UNDER filled...and it was not even ridden...it was just run for a few minutes on it centre stand while in 5th gear so that it would move about....then drained right after. There is NO water in there as well....so do not even go there. After working on board large ships deep sea ship working in engines...repairing them, rebuilding them...I think I know how to change oil and what I am doing.....don't you think....if after 37 years I have not figured it out by now...I never will. Its something about this oil....and ONLY this oil....I have no idea whats going on....only that it foams like mad with very little effort being put into it.

post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Loyal member

Model: gl 1500a
Post imported post

Overfilling or under filling would have absolutely no bearing on the product foaming or not.It only has to do with the character composition of the product itself.And tell me,how do you overfill a final drive?

Moon
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Post imported post

moonhead wrote:
Quote:
Overfilling or under filling would have absolutely no bearing on the product foaming or not.It only has to do with the character composition of the product itself.And tell me,how do you overfill a final drive?
Well....when you figure that one out.....you let me know....as it keeps pouring out the filler hole all the time.....thats a real toughy for sure....

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page