Rear brake feels soft. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I bled teh rear yet still feels soft. I know it mat have more air in the system but is there a way to measure for correct pressure??

I doubt it but worth a try.

I have had ajnother winger try it and he said it was fine. It felt good to him, But as I think of it he is taller thus placing his knee far more forward than mine in return allowing his ankle angle to be greater downward.

Could I just need a pedal adjustment and if so.

WHich is the best.

turing the clevis or removing the pedal and repolacing at diffeent splines??

I have returned to the wonderful saunders forum after a 2 year hiatus. I realilzed the grass can never be greener.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

If you could measure the pressure and had air in the lines it would still show the same pressure as if it had no air if the same amount of force was applied to the pedal. Where the difference would be is pressure vs. amount of pedal travel. It may be air and it may be the flex hose is expanding, same effect. If the pedal is just too low you can adjust the clevis to raise it to suit you.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I doubt very much that one's height, or ankle angle would make any/much difference. If the brake is bleed properly, you don't need to adjust the pedal height.

You did bleed the front rightbrake 1st, didn't you?

Sometimes you have to take a small wrench and 'tap' the brake line with it, especially around any banjo fittings,to dislodge any remaining air bubbles in the line.

Installing some speed bleeders makes the job a whole lot easier for one person, when bleeding the brakes/clutch.

Others are pleased with results, using a vacum brake bleeder, from Harbor Freight

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ive got the speedbleeders which I love. The reason I think the persons leg length makes a difference is that my leg is at close to a 90 degree angle to the peg, my foot is then 90 degree to the pedal. To operate the foot brake my foot has to go foward.
My friends foot is at 709 degree angle and therefore his foot is already positioned foward of mine . His foot travels less to move the lever.
WIll try that and rebleed.

I have returned to the wonderful saunders forum after a 2 year hiatus. I realilzed the grass can never be greener.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 AM

Year: 1983
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1100 Interstate
Post imported post

Does the 1200 have splines on the brake pedal? I have never had a bike with splines on the brake pedal. I have always adjusted the brake pedal via the clevis.

AndyB
1983 Black, gray, red custom wing bagger
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Yeah they have splines. with a screw to secure it from working its way out.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Post imported post

Does your bike have the linked brakes? If so, you should try bleeding the right front brake.There might be an air bubble with your name on it.,,

Bikes Ive owned, \'69 Norton,\'48 Harley panhead, \'71 Bsa, \'76 gl1000,\'93 Harley ultra,\'03 Harley ultra,\'05 Sportster, \'82 GW 1100.\'96 Police road king very used. "I tried thinking once, but nothing happened" .,,,
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Post imported post

not sure if this works, i have only been told about it, but sometimes when there is trapped air in the system some people tie down the pedal putting pressure on it and leaving it overnight.

Derek and Maggie

GL1800 2004 US spec White.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I bled the right front again. That and I also re adjusted the clevis. The peal height is as advised per the manual. It seems a bit better .
As for the tying the pedal down this will only allow trapped air in the rear master to rise. Tying the lever to the handle works because gravity takes hold and raises all the air bubbles up.
The rear system has too many high points to trap air.
This is why I will bleed once a week until the whole liter of brake fluid is gone. I need to find someone with a 1200 and compare feel.

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page