How to Measure oil level when installing Progressive Springs? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey Everyone, quick question, on the gl1200 Howdo IMeasure theoil level when installing Progressive Springs?

Thanks, Ray

Working riding whenever we can. Wish I had more time to hang out with my goldwing family!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

I just use a standard measuring cup.

Sneak it out of the cupboard when she's not lookin'.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I'm just going through this as well, Ray.

Go to a dollar store and get a measuring cup, preferably one that's marked in both fluid oz and ml.

10cc = 10ml

Make sure all your old oil is completely drained from your forks.

With your springs out of the forks, collapse the fork tubes until they are bottomed out and then pour in the correct amount of fork oil, according to your manual(look under specifications) Then cycle them through full extension/bottoming out a few times.

Progressive calls for the oil to be 5 1/2" from the top of the tubes. Add/withdraw fluid until you reach that level. If you want a little 'plushier' ride, subtract a few ml (5 ml)from each tube. I wouldn't add any more than the recommended level, as progressives ride a little firmer/harsher than your stock set-up when riding solo, but does quite nicely when 2 up.

Once you have your oil level where you want it, add the springs and button her up

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Wichita Scorpion
Post imported post

Dusty Boots is pretty well correct. Read this for info from Porgressive, 15 weight oil required. Read the 'fine tuning' to get results you like.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...rings/3055.pdf

Wineberry-1989 Goldwing GL 1500
Wineberry/Brown-1983 Goldwing GL 1100A with 1983 Wineberry/Brown-California Sidecar
Keith
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:05 AM

Post imported post

Well, this is all very confusing. Other threads say 10 - 11oz of fluid, standard. I just put that in with new progressives, but it did not get up to 5.5 inches.

I don't want to overfill and blow a seal again. So what is it? Does 11oz = 5.5 inches? Maybe I did not have the fork collapsed (I guess that means pushed up?)?

1984 GL1200A
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 05:19 PM

Post imported post

HI lucky,

Just go to the link provided in my above post and print out the Progressive instructions. I don't think you can go wrong. What I did was read carefully and highlight the instruction pertaining to my bike. The instructions provide info for GL 1100/1200/1500.

Oil level isthe distancefrom the top of the fork tube to the top of the oil with the fork tube completely collapsed (both tubes pushed together as faras they will go) and the fork spring removed.

If you go on a few trips and decide the ride is too harsh or too soft, apply the fine tuning instructions.

That's what I did on my GL 1500 and GL 1100A, along with, over the past, two other GL 1500s and one GL 1200. From what I read on this Forum, some have used the fine tuning instructions to change the ride feel. I used the basic initial instructions, no fine tuning,and have been satisfied.

Lucky, you may be Ok with your oil level.

The oil level also affects the ride, too high an oil level and the forks will feel too stiff, too low an oil height and the bike will bottom and feel soft or dive.

Wineberry/Brown-1983 Goldwing GL 1100A with 1983 Wineberry/Brown-California Sidecar
Keith
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Model: Stream Silver 2007
Post imported post

Dusty
Removing oil will not make the ride any plusher. Oil is used to dampen the fork travel by being forced through a metered hole which is at the bottom of the fork, so lowering the oil level will have absolutly no affect on the ride. To get a softer ride try a lighter oil, maybe 10W or 7W.

Have Wing Will Travel
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Post imported post

Cal-D wrote:
Quote:
Dusty
Removing oil will not make the ride any plusher. Oil is used to dampen the fork travel by being forced through a metered hole which is at the bottom of the fork, so lowering the oil level will have absolutly no affect on the ride. To get a softer ride try a lighter oil, maybe 10W or 7W.
Hi Cal-D. You are correct on the change of oil weight. That is included in Progressive's instructions for fine tuning (link in my above post).

Also: Copied word for word from Progressive Spring Installition information for fine tuning (link in my above post):

The oil level also affects the ride, too high an oil level and the forks will feel too stiff, too low an oil height and the bike will bottom and feel soft or dive.

I am happy with my GL 1500 and my GL 1100A and did not use any fine tuning.

Keith
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

On a 1500 and a 1100 I did it Progressive's way and then compared using the amount called for in the Honda manual. Didn't see much difference in the level in the tubes, definitely not enough to worry about. If one was being real particular reducing the oil level about 1.5 oz. from the Honda calloutwould be very close to Progressive's recommended depth. In my bikes I just use the Honda manual callout, never had a seal pop out or have a hydraulic lock due to running out of air space in the tubes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

FYI The 5.5 inches from the top when the forks are collapsed is the maximum amount of fork oil that is recommended by Progressive. This is not the actual amount needed for the forks. It also states that if the manual calls for less than 5.5 inches from the top, they recommend not going any higher than 5.5. I am not sure about the GL1200 but the factory manual for the GL1500 states that the level should be 7.6 inches from the top for the proper amount with factory springs. When changed over to Progressive springs, they displace a little more oil so if the proper amount of fork oil is added, the actual level will be less than 7.6 inches. So with the GL1500 as long as the level falls between 5.5 inches and 7.6 inches from the top, the forks will be ok. Another tip, make sure to pump the forks up and down several times before measuring the level.

Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!
97 Aspencade - Pearl White
Darkside Rear Tire- Austone 175R16
Double Darkside Front-Battl-Ax BT-45 130/70-18
2014 starting mileage- 60106

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page