changing water pump, water in oil - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Good evening Everyone,

Finally, I got time and the means to work on my '84 1200 Aspy. I reported late last year that water was disappearing from the overflow tank but I could not see any white steam or antifreeze smell from the exhaust. I just removed the radiator, thermostat and water pump. When I drained the oil you could see it was an emulsion. I then pulled the front cover and what a mess. I guess it was whipping up pretty good in there. The water pump shaft was really loose so I wonder if it's head gaskets at all?

Big question: If the water pump seal is shot and the shaft loose, will that allow water to get into the oil and not the other way around? I hate to pull off heads if they don't need it.

I did pull the plugs and they seemed to smell like gas as if it was running rich when I shut it down a while back. The metal part of the plugs was black.

Second Big Question: If there is a leaky head gasket, will there be a corresponding lower compression reading? I'm going to purchase a compression tester.

Other questions:

What is the best source for the water pump? Honda?

What is the best source for the front cover seals? Honda again?

I appreciate your comments. Hopefully I can get my baby on the road in a couple weeks. I've already missed a lot of riding weather here in SC.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim(inSC)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

Coolant from the water pump seal would normally leak out the weep hole below the pump unless it's plugged up, then it might get into the oil sump.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM

Post imported post

Water in the cooling system is under pressure, crankcase is not.

1981 GL1100 Naked
2001 DR650 Dual Sport
2004 KLR650 Dual Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 85 Aspencade
Post imported post

Change the water pump and oil seals and gaskets, then you can do a check for water in the oil.
If your still loosing water then don't leave it too long you could damage the heads if your pushing super heated steam around there.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Post imported post

53jimc wrote:
Quote:
Big question: If the water pump seal is shot and the shaft loose, will that allow water to get into the oil and not the other way around? I hate to pull off heads if they don't need it.

Second Big Question: If there is a leaky head gasket, will there be a corresponding lower compression reading? I'm going to purchase a compression tester.

Other questions:

What is the best source for the water pump? Honda?

What is the best source for the front cover seals? Honda again?

Hi Jim,

The answer to your first question is: Yes

Second question: No. The best way is to do a leakdown test.

You've already answered your other questions. OEM stuff is over-priced but how often do you have to do it?
Honda built you a wonderful motorcycle, keep it a Honda.

Now, having said all that, I'd do the pump and see if it solves your problems. Head gasket problems are rare. Water pump problems are not so rare. Odds are in your favor.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 AM

Model: 1999 GL1500 SE 50th Annv.
Post imported post

Sounds like water is getting by the seal on the shaft. There are a couple of places the water & oil can get together in and around the water pump area. The loose propeller is telling you that the seal/bearing is shot & that's where the water is getting into the oil.

Replacing the pump & O ring/gasket kit should solve your problems. I wouldn't go any further than that until I ran it after the R & R to see if that solved my problem.

1983 GL1100, 2013 Suzuki Vstrom DL650
Previous bikes - 1971 BMW R75, 2008 HD Softail, 2000 BMW R1100R, 1980 XJ650, XT500, GS550, 77 GL1000 x2 and a few others
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks everyone.
I'm going to replace the pump, stat, cap, hoses and all the associated seals/o-rings then put in new oil with some marvel mystery, run a few miles then rinse/repeat. Then ride a few miles, see what the temp gauge does and check the oil.
I'll take some pics of the front cover and post, man, what a mess. I also have compression gauge on order. Will check compression and leakdown, too.
Jim

Jim(inSC)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page