Honda Direct Line Parts - experience - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

As I mentioned here some time ago, the water pump on my GL1100 started emitting an oily coolant mix recently, so my bike is sitting laid up in the garage.

I spent almost a day trying to find a place that had my water pump in stock, at a reasonable price. A local dealership had one, but at almost $60 more than the $116 price I could find online, plus tax.

After not finding anyone online with the pump in stock, I settled for ordering from one that was close by, so that it wouldn't take too long to get shipped to me. Because Honda Direct Line is also in Ohio, I picked them.

I called them a week ago Wednesday. The CS rep I talked to told me they didn't have it in stock, but once I placed the order, they would have it in "a day or two" and in all likelihood, it would ship out on Friday. I placed the order.

On Monday afternoon, after I hadn't heard anything, and my order status online said "order pending", I called them back.

This time, I was told that the order had just gone in on Friday, and that the water pump would likely not be shipped until Tuesday or Wednesday, but that I should have it in my hands by Thursday or Friday at the latest.

So today, it's Friday, I checked online, my order still shows "order pending." I call them back AGAIN.

THIS time, I was told that the item had just arrived in their warehouse today, and would probably be shipped out that afternoon, so I should have it Monday or Tuesday. When I got angry and told them what I had been told a WEEK AND A HALF ago when I placed the order, the CS rep said "well *I* didn't tell you that." No apology, no explanation.

So while they may ship the item fine, and the price was decent, the shipping delays are significant, and the CS reps basically lie to you to get you off the phone. If I had been told when I placed the order that it would be ten days before they even SHIPPED the order, I would have gone someplace else. Instead they lied and told me it would be shipped in a "day or two."

In today's world of instant online order fulfillment, a two-week shipping lead time from a company only a few miles away, coupled with CSR's that don't give you straight answers, is just not acceptable. I'd recommend you don't use this place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Read my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:10 AM

Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Sorry for your problems. I've used them a bunch of times and never had an issue.

Mike
Finally, old enough to know better. Just need some common sense now......
Patriot Guard Rider

1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Piled Higher and Deeper

Post imported post

I've found them to be very "direct" (pun intended)...

I ordered some parts on linea couple days agothen called them to get an estimated delivery.. They said "all Honda OEM parts that they do not have in stock will take 7-10 days to receive them from Honda then whatever shipping time it takes"

My guess is that the problem was with the specific person you talked to.. I'veusually found them to be slow, but never deceptive... (and usually the best price, particularly when taking shipping into account)

AKA "Jim"
---------------
Have a Gold Wing? Look at the
! even though they closed this one it has the best graphics and is valid.
---------------
If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
---------------
2000 GL1500SE
1983 GL1100I
---------------
But formerly San Diego, Terra Haute, Aiken, Oak Ridge, Tonopah NV, Pasadena CA, Aiken SC, Richland WA, and now back to Tonopah NV..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

I just go up to their warehouse in Hendersonville, NC and see if what I want is in stock and if not they're honest enough with me as to how long it will take to get it.

With that type of attitude that CSR won't be there long if enough complaints are made.

Michael
Too much chrome to polish, too little time!!
Have trailer, will travel!! Not all Wingers are old Wingers.

PGR member. Riding in memory of my father, Clyde D. Ward, USN. WWII

Myself, USN, Vietnam Vet. 68-72, 74-76
VF-194 aboard the USS. Oriskany
USS Saratoga, ships company

-----------------------------------
Bagmaster, our former forum Toolmaster and friend, is no longer with us. He passed away in February 2012.

The roads and byways, no matter how beautiful and exhilarating, are a lonelier place now. RIP Bagmaster (Baggy).
-----------------------------------
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Post imported post

Have you looked at http://www.servicehonda.com? Looks good, but as far as reliability, don't know. It is a shame that the suppliers have to do business this way, but when they do we need to let everyone that we know about it. I appreciate your loyalty on the "buy Ohio" plan but sometimes you just gotta go elsewhere when they do do right by you.

Chuck

1985 GL 1200 LTD Ending Mileage 90341 6457 total
2010 GL 1800 7 Starting Mileage New
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Disfunctional Nimatode

Post imported post

Service Honda is OK..... I just don't like the idea of placing an order and THEN they will get back to on what the actual shipping will be.... and usually higher than others.

Don't want a deal with alot of flibiddy-flab or mumbo-jumbo...........

2003 GL1800 Illusion Blue
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 12:45 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

My understanding from talking to several of the online OEM parts places is that they don't maintain a warehouse or inventory. I know this is true of www.Servicehonda.com and www.cheapcycleparts.com Several years ago since I live only about 20 miles from Service Honda, I called them about coming in to pick up the parts I ordered to save on shipping. I was told at that they would honor the online price if they shipped it. I further found out that they don't maintain an inventory or warehouse because it cuts way down on the overhead and that is how they are able to keep the price down. I assume that Honda Direct Line operates under the same principles. That puts them at the mercy of Mother Honda as far as shipping times. So when they talk about the "warehouse", it's usually not their's but Honda's. I am not trying to give them an excuse but to help in understanding why. Also I have run into problems when my brother still had his 85 Honda Shadow with parts being listed and finding out after ordering them that the parts are no longer available from the warehouse.

Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!
97 Aspencade - Pearl White
Darkside Rear Tire- Austone 175R16
Double Darkside Front-Battl-Ax BT-45 130/70-18
2014 starting mileage- 60106

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM

Post imported post

GS, the $176 price for one in stock looks pretty good now, huh?

I am afraid to say that your misery is what all of us are going to endure in the near future. Nobody is stocking items anymore. I went to a store recently and it looked more like "Mother Hubbards cubbard". The receding rows of cars at the local Ford dealer reminds me of the Cape Cod seashore.

I suspect Honda Direct is at the mercy of their parts distributer. Sure, lying is bad, but they are screwed once you decide to ditch them. They hope and pray the part arrives before you give up on them, and go back to that dealer who has one for $176.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Bschofield
Post imported post

I am finding luck with getting parts used from my local mc graveyard.. it's a crapshoot, but if you know what you are doing you can come out with prices that make it worthwhile.

forks and seals $ 70
faring - $65
front wheel with brake assemblies and rotors, $70

plan on going there to pickup a thermoswitch, maybe an extra set of rear shocks to rebuild ($80), and pickup an extra fuel pump, and water pump as i know mine wont last forever

i know there are times and parts that MUST be new ie belts, etc. but i advocate it.

Barry

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”: FDR’s First Inaugural Address

81 GL1100I - Daily rider and project bike - keeps my mind spinning with options..
Barry
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Make: Honda
Model: 87 Aspy,SEI,LTD
Garage
Send a message via AIM to neoracer Send a message via Yahoo to neoracer Send a message via Skype™ to neoracer
Post imported post

I have found that hd direct takes about twice as long as your local dealer to get parts also

but at the 30 -40 % savings over your local dealer its a wait i can live with,i have also found their shipping costs a alot more reasonable than the local stealer

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY,ANY DAY YOU CAN RIDE IS A GREAT DAY"

86 SEI 93K 87 Aspy 129K 85 LTD 34K (refurb)

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page