post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Hello all;

As most of you are aware, the Technical PostsIndex was introduced some months back withabout 150 starter entries in it and many more waiting to be added. Since that time, it has grown to almost 1,000 entries.

Has the Index been of benefit to you?

If so, a request: IF you see a threadthat you think has a lot of value for future eyes to see and learn from, would you please drop me a PM with a link to that thread. We appreciate your input as a forum member in this ongoing project.

At this point in time, the job of building the Index is down to Steve Saunders and myself.Earlier in the heavy rush to get it going, we had help from RB (Roger) and Claude (Red Baron). Thanks to both of them for a heroic job.

I try to collect the "relevent threads" and then pass them on to Steve. He then singles out a keypost ineach threadandmerges them with the new Index database, and makes sure we don't have dupes, or that the titles make more sense relating to the thread's topic.

Sometimes, we create different titles to link to the same thread simply because there is more than one way to refer to a topic.

The moderators can not possibly see everything, and reading every single post in the database is going to take eons.

I'm not even 10% of the way through the Technical Forum yet. So, please help us all with your ideas.

Post Index A-Z. You can find thelink on any Forum Main Page;

Another hint, once you have the Index up, try clicking with your mouse in a blank spot in the list of the subjects. Then do a Control-F and your browser will open a find window.Type in the word you want to find and the browser will find that word or phrase. Click next and zip thru the Index.

When you click the link in one of the Index subjects, you willopen a key post from that thread. If you want to read the full thread, click the "FULL TOPIC" tab at the top of the post.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Model: Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

I have noticed, and maybe this has been fixed, that when I look something up, I see a member asking the specific question, but no answer.

Like I said, maybe this has been addressed.

Mike
Finally, old enough to know better. Just need some common sense now......
Patriot Guard Rider

1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM

Garage
Post imported post

Here is an example.

Electrical issues, won't start GL1100

Mike
Patriot Guard Rider

1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

mikef wrote:
Quote:
Here is an example.

Electrical issues, won't start GL1100
Mike,

There is nothing wrong with the way the index is working.

What we try to accomplish is to go straight to the answer to the Title, or to the post stating the question and what the original issues are.

Then, IF, you want to read the full thread, all you do is click on FULL TOPIC
at the top of the screen. Right next to where it says EDIT, REPLY, etc.....

We can only link to a single post. It is up to you to decide if you want to see the full thread.

This thread was started for just exactly this reason. Is anyone having any issues with using the Index?
IF so, then ask your question and we will try to address that.

~ John

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:26 AM

Garage
Post imported post

You are correct. I missed the "Full Topic" button......my bad.

Mike
Patriot Guard Rider

1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1985 Suzuki Madura 700
1973 Honda 350CB
1965 Honda 50

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

You aren't the only one who missed it. I asked the same question the very first time that Tanygaer showed us the new feature.

He wrote the software for the Index.

~ John

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM
RB

Send a message via AIM to RB
Post imported post

Think it needs to be a forum header or something I think most don't know or forget it exists or how to use it..

BUT!!! sure is a nice feature for those in need and a much better search tool than the regular one...more on target usually..

1981 GL1100I Sold her..so sad!
1976 GL1000 Sulfur Yellow sold
1976 GL1000 RED rebuilt SOLD
1979 GL1000 parting out PM if you\'re looking for something
1975 sold
1978 sold
1981 sold
1982 sold
1982 sold
1983 A sold
1997 1500 SE SOLD
1999 1500 SE SOLD
1998 1500 SE..RIDING
FAIR WINDS,
RB
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Post imported post

So John, is there a way to search the left column (index) besides heading by heading. Like a search tool just for that column? Tried the one on the right, but that is set up for the whole - not the index only. The more topics that get put in the left column the more difficult the search. If one could put in a word and bring up several just in the index column. Maybe I'm asking more that what it is capable, or maybe there is already something there that I missed.

Spider Bob

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps, it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Patriot Guard Rider
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Quote:
So John, is there a way to search the left column (index) besides heading by heading. Like a search tool just for that column? Tried the one on the right, but that is set up for the whole - not the index only. The more topics that get put in the left column the more difficult the search. If one could put in a word and bring up several just in the index column. Maybe I'm asking more that what it is capable, or maybe there is already something there that I missed.
Bob,

IF you use Firefox, you put the cursor inside the Index Window, click in a blank area so that you do NOT highlight a link.

Then you do a Control-F and start typing. It will highlight the first word that matches your typing. Then you can click NEXT, NEXT, or ALT-N, ALT-N
and you will cruise right on down thru that Index like melted butter.

~ John

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 AM

Post imported post

And if one doesn't use Firefox, I assume they are SOL

Spider Bob

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps, it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Patriot Guard Rider
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page