Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Throttle spring worn out? (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/334976-throttle-spring-worn-out.html)

bkfass 09-25-2009 05:03 PM

imported post

Hi,
1983 GL1100. In 3 years since I got the bike, the throttle has never had enough tension. I just replaced both cables and in fact it now has no tension at all. Throttle has no return tension to it. It doesn't feel like a sticky problem (I greased cable connects, throttle sleeve) - it feels more like a spring problem. I've read earlier post about kinks and positioning of cables - all is well there, too. (Is this really that touchy?)

There's a torsion spring on the crank wheel where the cables connect down at the carb. I assume this provides the sole tension that returns the throttle? Is there something else?

I assume the torsion spring is just worn out. But it's only sold as part of $250 assembly. Do I dare mess with where either end of the spring hooks? Try to increase tension by a quarter or half a turn? Or where I can get a new spring?? Can't find used part online. I hope to take care of this while my gas tank happens to be out of the way!

Thank you! Brian

wilf 09-25-2009 06:13 PM

imported post

I do believe there could be a problem with the way its hooked up? On the randakk site there is a teck tip about hooking the spring up corectly.

Wilf

Cody in MN 09-25-2009 06:24 PM

imported post

Welcome to the Forum from MN :waving:

You've come to the right place :banana:

Best of luck with your issue :action:

I have an extra set of carb parts if it turns out you need something, though I don't

see those parts wearing out, maybe the connection as Wilf suggests

Flyone 09-25-2009 06:28 PM

imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!! :cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

William_86 09-25-2009 06:32 PM

imported post

22 Attachment(s)
probably the spring is not installed correctly.

bkfass 09-25-2009 11:07 PM

imported post

Thanks for the input and the welcome. Messed around with it some more - when I undo the push cable, the pull cable seems to work fine. So I guess the spring is ok. Now I'm just trying to figure out why connecting the push cable makes throttle stuck open. It's routed correctly, and not kinked. Slides fine when disconnected. No way to adjust length of it like you can with pull cable...

JBz 09-25-2009 11:32 PM

imported post

just a thought. maybeyou got a 1000 push cable. they are close but a tadshorter and wont work. jb

RayandTracy 09-25-2009 11:40 PM

imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving: